Snowmobile Fanatics banner

2008 Polaris Snowmobiles

15K views 89 replies 43 participants last post by  POLARISXC440 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any insight on what's new for Polaris 08 intro. Read somewhere of a 800 Dragon and a 1050 four stroke

#2 ·
I'm hoping to see a 600 H.O.CFI in that 440 race IQ chassie.
yeah about the 800 dragon is in the talks as of this moment but never know something else interesting might come up. Perhaps a CFI 1000 H.O. with 170-175 HP that would leave doo's and cat's 1000 in the snow dust. thats my guess right now[;)]

#7 ·
Originally posted by PolarisRocks0822
[br]right now polaris does not have to go any higher than a 700 they are domanating there class in the 600's.
They need something to compete with the Mach Z, F1000 and Apex. The Dragon is nice, but it hasnt got a prayer on the lake against those 3 sleds.
By not offering a bigbore sled, Polaris has a big hole in their lineup.
I think you will see an 800 twin based on the 600 HO/Dragon engines, but I think you will only see it as a mountain sled this year. A lot of the time they put a new engine like that in a mountain sled before they put in in a 121" trail sled.
I also think they will go with a bigger engine in the FST. The 750 is pretty much at its limit right now, and with a bigger engine they could get more power while running less boost and eliminate a lot of the problems they have with the FST. The FS put out about 60 hp and the current FST puts out 140 hp. By more than doubling the horsepower, that tells you they are running a ton of boost (Id bet at least 10-15 pounds) and I think thats what a lot of the problems you hear of stem from.
I doubt you will get the full info from Polaris untill sometime in March though.

#8 ·
This is more about a what then when, as I know that the new sleds are out in mid March. Just been hearing talk of a 800 Dragon and a 1050 4-stroke. Looking to see what else anyone may of heard.

Next
Originally posted by BarkMulcher
[br]Isn't this the 3rd thread *What/When are the 2008's coming* Thread? In the last week....

I believe Polaris does Snow Check Every Year at the Same Time.

#9 ·
The 750 is pretty much at its limit right now, and with a bigger engine they could get more power while running less boost and eliminate a lot of the problems they have with the FST. The FS put out about 60 hp and the current FST puts out 140 hp. By more than doubling the horsepower, that tells you they are running a ton of boost (Id bet at least 10-15 pounds) and I think thats what a lot of the problems you hear of stem from.

[/quote]

It runs at 15psi. It does seem pretty high for such a small mill. I haven't heard about any of them grenading yet though. The turbo on that engine should be good for about 20psi, same company that makes turbos for VW/Audi/Porsche

#10 ·
Theres a few people on HCS that grenaded them. One guy had a sparkplug shoot out of the head. I still say that 15 psi is a lot of boost for a trail sled. It would be fine on the racetrack, but I wouldnt be confident it would have much reliability.

#11 ·
i would hate to see the cost of the repair bill for that engine.[xx(]

#14 ·
They won't get rid of Carbs.. People want to tinker. People want to set-up their own sleds.
Lake racers..grass-draggers..even Trail Ants:) want to be able to tune their sleds. Unless each sled includes fuel mapping software, I don't see it happening

You have no option of tuning your sled with F.I

#15 ·
Good point, but the others have eliminated Carbs haven't they ? I know that Ski Doo is all FI..Would be cool if they had a map program that could be changed.

I know that carbs is what makes tuning easy, but I believe it will be a thing of the past in coming years

#18 ·
Cat still has carbs in the line-up - purely for the tinkerers (huh?)[:p]
I've been hearing the star company is coming with an 800 but nothing bigger. I wouldn't say dominating in the 600 class - last year was the first for that one and they still didn't win the season championship. That still belongs to the green[8D]

#19 ·
Originally posted by johnson47
[br]Cat still has carbs in the line-up - purely for the tinkerers (huh?)[:p]
I've been hearing the star company is coming with an 800 but nothing bigger. I wouldn't say dominating in the 600 class - last year was the first for that one and they still didn't win the season championship. That still belongs to the green[8D]
If i remember right when i was at haydays....the green got poo on by the star company

#21 ·
Originally posted by stick
[br]I heard something about some KTM mills....
that would be interesting eh ......going the same path as there quads

#22 ·
Supposed to be getting some 800 Dragon RMK's right away at the dealer. No word on any fourstroke yet.

#23 ·
[br]You have no option of tuning your sled with F.I
You couldnt be more wrong if you tried. You can actually do MORE tuning with EFI because you can set the timing and the duration of the injector pulses.
Ever hear of something called a "power commander"? Every hear of someone "chipping" their car or truck?
Tuning is actually easier with EFI because you can hook it up to a computer, see what the engine is doing and perfect the EFI settings. With carbs, its guesswork at best.
As to the rumor of the KTM engines, I dont think that is going to happen anymore. KTM and Polaris are no longer in bed with one another. KTM pretty much snubbed Polaris, so Id say their partnership is pretty much done.

#24 ·
Originally posted by Octane
[br]
Originally posted by PolarisRocks0822
[br]right now polaris does not have to go any higher than a 700 they are domanating there class in the 600's.
They need something to compete with the Mach Z, F1000 and Apex. The Dragon is nice, but it hasnt got a prayer on the lake against those 3 sleds.
By not offering a bigbore sled, Polaris has a big hole in their lineup.
I think you will see an 800 twin based on the 600 HO/Dragon engines, but I think you will only see it as a mountain sled this year. A lot of the time they put a new engine like that in a mountain sled before they put in in a 121" trail sled.
I also think they will go with a bigger engine in the FST. The 750 is pretty much at its limit right now, and with a bigger engine they could get more power while running less boost and eliminate a lot of the problems they have with the FST. The FS put out about 60 hp and the current FST puts out 140 hp. By more than doubling the horsepower, that tells you they are running a ton of boost (Id bet at least 10-15 pounds) and I think thats what a lot of the problems you hear of stem from.
I doubt you will get the full info from Polaris untill sometime in March though.
Polaris already has a sled that will easily handle the new 1000 twins. Its called an 800 XCR!! They should've stuck with what worked!! [8D]

#25 ·
Originally posted by Octane
[br]
[br]You have no option of tuning your sled with F.I
You couldnt be more wrong if you tried. You can actually do MORE tuning with EFI because you can set the timing and the duration of the injector pulses.

Uhhh DUH!! Maybe include everything I said...Like the part about Polaris could include the fuel mapping software

Ever hear of something called a "power commander"? Every hear of someone "chipping" their car or truck?

?? oh, this new fangled tech just confuses me, I had no idea you could check the readings from your engine with a handheld portable computer

#26 ·
Carbed sleds don't come with spare jets, needles or a TPS adjusting software so what's the difference to have EFI? EFI is better suited to modify fuel mapping, especially if you mess with exhaust/timing.

On a more positive note, I am interested to see the 800 engine. I was not sure how durable the 700 Dragon engine would be as a small block, so far I have not heard of breakdowns. I am guessing the bottom end of 800 will be different and may lead to another series of engines.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.