Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
13,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has a '08 MXZ 600 SDI and it's doing something weird.

It starts and idles ok, but as soon as you press the throttle the check engine light blinks and it shuts itself off.

Any ideas? I have not seen what it's doing so I don't know how many blinks or what it's exactly doing. This is just info that was relayed to me.

First thought is DESS, second is a shorting wire somewhere. After that, I have no clue.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
This may be too simple..but is the tether on tight? I know with ski-doo's if the tethers aren't on all the way they will usually start, but will just pop or die when trying to accelerate.. just a thought

·
Registered
250 Posts
Its not the tether. On my 08 800 ptek I had a short in the wire that ran my thumb warmer that caused a similar problem. It would start idle and drive but once I got up to 35 it would bog and puke until it shut off. Not sayin thats his problem but it could be somethin stupid like that.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I'm not familiar with Ski Doo sleds so this is just an idea I'm tossing on the table. Does that sled have a throttle position sensor that could be thinking the throttle is partially open and the sled is limiting the engine for that reason? Are there any error codes that are displayed?

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
brian126 said:
Does that sled have a throttle position sensor that could be thinking the throttle is partially open and the sled is limiting the engine for that reason? Are there any error codes that are displayed?
X2. TPS is very finicky on these sleds. Bring it to the dealer and have him hook the BUDS system to it and they can read it.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I know it's sending people away to another site, but dootalk! Simply more guys that know about ski doos where as it's more cat and Polaris guys here. Doesn't mean some people don't know, just simply not as many minds familiar with the problem.

·
Administrator
13,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, we'll check the wiring. Trying to avoid taking it to a dealer because that's hassles and it costs money.

Found out today that it idles fine, as soon as it revs to 3000 RPM it drops dead. When it's idling you can tip the machine over, shake it, do whatever and it just sits there running. As soon as it hits 3000 RPM it quits.

I also found out that if it was the tether it wouldn't die completely and it would beep.

As for engine codes, I'm not sure. I don't know if the check engine light blinks a number of times or if it just blinks constantly. As I said, I haven't seen it, I'm just relaying info. I might get a chance to look at it next week.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Polaris-Man said:
My friend has a '08 MXZ 600 SDI and it's doing something weird.

It starts and idles ok, but as soon as you press the throttle the check engine light blinks and it shuts itself off.

Any ideas? I have not seen what it's doing so I don't know how many blinks or what it's exactly doing. This is just info that was relayed to me.

First thought is DESS, second is a shorting wire somewhere. After that, I have no clue.

Thanks.
Check the TPS plug. I had my sled apart the other weekend and it did the exact same thing. I was a bit worried but then I figured it out when I saw the plug wasn't plugged in.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Be sure and check the battery. If you have a battery that is near it's end it will do some beeping and act not quite right.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
TRICKPaint said:
Be sure and check the battery. If you have a battery that is near it's end it will do some beeping and act not quite right.
x2. It can also set off the check engine light before I sets off the battery light.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts