Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I know a 9-9 code is how many sprockets or whatever and is normal.

For some reason the gauges die to zero every few minutes, then come back to life with flashing 9-9 on speedo.
Sled runs fine. Anyone else have this? Perhaps it is...

- a short?
- Voltage regulator?

Any suggestions would be great- not sure if this is serious!?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2007 GTX 550F
It is starting and running fine, but the low beams quit, the oil and temp lights come on, the speedometer and tachometer work sometimes and quit working and work again, and the odometer starts flashing "9-9" all the time. It is annoying. I finally changed the voltage regulator based on advice in another forum (had to remove the muffler to get to it) and it made no difference at all. I cannot find a loose wire or ground. Also the battery does not seem to be charging or holding a charge.

So I was wondering if you might have the same problem and did you ever figure it out?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I know a 9-9 code is how many sprockets or whatever and is normal.

For some reason the gauges die to zero every few minutes, then come back to life with flashing 9-9 on speedo.
Sled runs fine. Anyone else have this? Perhaps it is...

• a short?
  • Voltage regulator?

Any suggestions would be great- not sure if this is serious!?
I have the same model with same issues. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same model with same issues. Any thoughts?
I have had the same issue for years with my 2009 Gtx 550 and just decided to attempt a repair. This is my spare guest sled so I wasn't to motivated but with Covid happening, Newfoundland on lockdown and my local ski hill closed guess I'll fix that sled now. I am yet to find a definitive answer to the problem on any forum. So far I have replaced the voltage regulator as I drilled a hole in the original when installing a belly pan. The regulator has been replaced and relocated it's working fine the battery gets 14.5 VDC at any rpm so it is charging and regulating. I have started to remove the wiring harness for inspection and testing. On startup all is fine and within a couple of minutes the entire dash locks up so I think it is a vibration related short of some sort. I've been able to simulate the issue by using jumpers on the harness, but I have to get a shop manual instead of working blind. Last year I had a fault with my 2016 Renegade BC (love that sled) due to chafing of the harness on the frame we quickly found the issue and did a repair. I'm going down the same road with my old GTX, let the rip and tear begin!!!
20200329_131906[1].jpg
20200329_131906[1].jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok here's the update on my 2009 GTX 550F (Powder Poser Extreme, lower gearing, 1 3/4 inch lug track, 6.2 DS skis, belly pan and 58 hp or less and only 12000k)
  1. I replaced both bulbs in the headlight and the taillight bulb as they were all blown probably are a result of the self drilling screw in the voltage regulator
  2. Inspected the wiring harness for chafing none present
  3. Tested resistance to ground (frame is common ground for the electrical) on all the black wires I could find easily all good no resistance so the connections are good
  4. Another poster suggested that the voltage regulator needs a load from the lighting to maintain the correct operating voltage required by the instrument dash. My dimmer switch has been broken for a while and I can't find a used one so I jumpered the wires in the switch cluster to make the lights work (jumper between red orange and gray violet)
  5. Took the Powder Poser out for a rip all was good then the gremlins came back intermittently so back to the shop thinking it has to be a grounding issue due to vibration or rough terrain
  6. I started with the voltage regulator which is now accessible. I unplugged it and tested the black to ground (negative) connection on the sled side as the regulator uses a black wire in the harness that connects somewhere to the frame and I don't know the common point location. There was no resistance to ground so the regulator connection is good. When I opened the regulator connection I noticed what appeared to be some oil contamination in the connection. I used electrical contact cleaner on the male and female plugs and applied some silicone grease.
  7. Out for another rip on our local ski hill (Marble Mountain) watching skiers, boarders and snowmobiliers all having fun in the powder while the hill is closed. Sled seems to be running fine no issues think it's fixed if it comes back I'll post my findings. Great day on "The Rock"!!!!! :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts