Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hows it going guys, havent been on in a while so i figured id come give a shout. Ive been busy with tons of things. So i got a couple topics and questions for you guys. At the end of january i am going snow drag racing with my 600 etec in la sarre quebec CAN, i will only be racing in the 600 stock class but i want to get the most out of my sled. I thought of the obvious...im going buy a new belt for it. My best experience was with ultimax XS so ill be going with that. My question about that is i want to break it in the best way. i know how to generally do it but maybe some of you have some extra tips. Also, my engine has been spuddering lately, so i called my dealer and they said to make sure to us 91 octane fuel, ironicly i was using 89 because of the price of gas here, so he said to try using 91 and octane booster, never really trusted octane booster, always thought it was a waste of money, anyone have any suggestions or tips about that too? And any other tips or suggestions for getting the most out of my sled for the weekend would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Buy a new belt, wash the belt in warm, soapy water with a stiff plastic bristle brush (mostly the sides). Break it in right before racing it (take it easy for 15 miles). take your clutch faces and scuff them up with some scotch bright, then rub down with some lacquer thinner.

Running 91 octane should be good for the motor, especially an E-tec. No need for octane booster.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
In stock classes around here you are allowed to run different clutch weights, springs and helixs. Check with the Racing Association that is putting it on for rules in each class. I would get some different weights and see what other guys are running for a helix and start with that, a stiffer clutch spring would help, but isn't needed for your first set up.

Secondly, I would get your suspension set up for weight transfer to the back for the hole shot. Your going to want the sled to stay fairly flat to the ground, maybe just an inch or two of ski lift, but you want as much weight on the track during the hole shot as is poosible, but not so much that the sled tips over backward or lifts crazy high.

Fix the studder if you can, I would do what ever it takes to get rid of the studder because it is going to hurt you far worse then anything else.

As for the belt, I just break it in normally and I make sure that my clutches are clean the day of the races so that there is limmited slip during the launch. Some guys run fine sand paper over the clutch to add grippy edges for the belt to grab, I have not done this personally so I don't know how well it works. Also set your belt deflection to, I would guess you have never changed yours so it should be set up properly for a new belt right now.

You might have thought of this already, but have just enough fuel and oil in the sled to make your runs. Extra of either is just dead weight, unless your a light rider and need it to make weigh-in.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ideas on the weight transfer to the rear? Im guessing make the rear springs and shocks softer and the front stiffer?

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
You can adjust the scissor stops to get better weight transfer. Not sure how to do it on a Doo, but on mine with an Allen key and a 1/2 inch wrench you can turn the rear scissor stops, depending on how much rubber is pointed toward the scissor arm determines how far back it can more. The farther back it can move the more weight you are getting of the skid, more weight on the skid the better hole shot you will get.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds good i know what you mean. Im drawing a blank on the studder too, not sure what that is.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
just take the rear scissor stops out when racing it. And the sputter could be bad gas, low octane, clogged carburetors, a little bit of a leak of air into the motor (leaking carb boot).

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
One thing to maybe try if the 91 octane fuel doesn't help, get yourself some "Sea Foam" and run it in a tank of fuel and see what it does. Sea Foam is a producted made for small engines, it helps clean out debrie in the fuel system.

Other then that I am not really familar enought with the E-tec to give anymore advice.

jesse500 said:
just take the rear scissor stops out when racing it. And the sputter could be bad gas, low octane, clogged carburetors, a little bit of a leak of air into the motor (leaking carb boot).
If you take the scissor stops right out, you will get to much ski lift and your hole shot will actually suffer. Best to leave them in and just turn them to the right setting to get the result you are looking for.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts