Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 800 Switchback stalls after warming up. To the point that it completely it wont move. After turning off and letting cool for 5 or 10 minutes, it will run almost normally for another 15 until it slowly stalls out and dies again. Thoughts? And thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Appreciate the direction. Changing the fuel filter can never be a bad idea. But unfortunately after changing, ran for about 20 minutes (up to 45 mph) this morning and problem persisted. Bogs way down at full throttle. After 20 minutes, stalled completely. Cooled down for 10 minutes and safely limped it home. Temperature never climbed over 122°F. Using 97 octane fuel with 104 octane boost every fill up.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Does the engine actually stall and shut off? Or does the machine stop moving? Just trying to rule out a clutch or driveline issue.

I would ensure all your fluids are topped up.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Machine stops moving because it feels like it is not getting fuel. If I give it any throttle at the point it would die. So I either shut it down, let it cool down or the engine does die because I killed it. When I start cold, it will easily hit 70mph plus in that first 20-30 minute window before the stalling starts. So I would rule out clutch and driveline but I could not be positive.
Thanks for the interest and help!

·
Administrator
13,091 Posts
Might be a fuel pump or injector problem, although those would probably throw codes and make the check engine light blink.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
122* doesn't seem very hot. Bad coolant temp sensor telling the ecm something isn't right so it goes into limp mode or dies? Have you checked for any stored codes?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
^^^Check the accuracy of the coolant temp sensor. ( I'm assuming it's an efi engine)
My next step would be the coil or stator.. they get funny if there is a small break in a circuit that can be fine when cold but turn into an open circuit when heated up.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
have you gotten this figured out yet? I started having the same problem. I haven't done the fix kit on this machine yet as I never planned on keeping it as it is a polaris and I ain't ever had much luck with the POPO's. I ended ripping mine apart because it didn't sound right. Turns out the PTO bearing lube oiler nozzle broke off the crankcase and pissed out all the fluid and into the bottom of the engine bay. and when it did this it stopped oiling the pistons as there was not enough back pressure. I'm glad I run oil in the gas as well because I don't trust injection, and this time it actually helped as I did not bend any rods or the crank. however now I am in search of a new mono block so that I can rebuild the old girl and sell it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts