·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TTT. So far Poo way in the lead!

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
What do you expect. This forum has a much higher percentege of polaris fans. I dont think that a 2010 sled has had enough time to prove itself. Would have been better if you put the same years of sleds against eachother. Anyways idk about the reliability of the new poo, but the 800 ptek in the skidoo has been great reliability wise. The 08 xp chassis had some issues but once the updates are done its a great chassis. Skidoo has my vote but im not saying the poo isnt reliable though.

1,792 Posts
jesse500 said:
TTT. So far Poo way in the lead!
Don't worry too much, that's like the VHS vs Beta or Blu Ray vs HD battles - not necessarily the better one wins all the time.

·
Registered
848 Posts
BskidooC said:
What do you expect. This forum has a much higher percentege of polaris fans. [highlight=cyan]I dont think that a 2010 sled has had enough time to prove itself.[/highlight=cyan] Would have been better if you put the same years of sleds against eachother. Anyways idk about the reliability of the new poo, but the 800 ptek in the skidoo has been great reliability wise. The 08 xp chassis had some issues but once the updates are done its a great chassis. Skidoo has my vote but im not saying the poo isnt reliable though.
It's not the rush. The IQ chassis has been around for a while.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Bames said:
BskidooC said:
What do you expect. This forum has a much higher percentege of polaris fans. [highlight=cyan]I dont think that a 2010 sled has had enough time to prove itself.[/highlight=cyan] Would have been better if you put the same years of sleds against eachother. Anyways idk about the reliability of the new poo, but the 800 ptek in the skidoo has been great reliability wise. The 08 xp chassis had some issues but once the updates are done its a great chassis. Skidoo has my vote but im not saying the poo isnt reliable though.
Not just the chassis. Look at the engine issues poo has had with the 08/09 800's. Whos to say theyre fixed?

·
Registered
454 Posts
BskidooC said:
Bames said:
BskidooC said:
Not just the chassis. Look at the engine issues poo has had with the 08/09 800's. Whos to say theyre fixed?
Ive talked to several dealers and the tech staff and they havent had issues with the 800s they sold. And i am fairly close friends with one shop in particular. I see more of the Cats in the shop that the Poos. They both have there goods and bads. Personally if I ever switch brands i will ride Doo. Just dont like the way a Cat or Yammi feels. For me its all about the comfort and ease of maintance on them. I enjoy working on my toys and dont wanna have to take it to dealer and get hosed every time something little come up...thats just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Well I always drove polaris and my dealer said that the 800cc was not a place to go in this brand. On 17 sled sold in 2009, 15 of them came back with a blown engin. Some of them has 2 engines replace in it.

He even tell me that the Polaris haven't found the fix yet.

Now, I'm not sure that the ski-doo 800 are much better. I know that all the 2008 had a lot of recalls and once that were done, it seems that the motor was better en reliability.

That is why, I'm interress to your oppinion on motor reliability only. That's it.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
PolarisIQ600HO said:
Well I always drove polaris and my dealer said that the 800cc was not a place to go in this brand. On 17 sled sold in 2009, 15 of them came back with a blown engin. Some of them has 2 engines replace in it.

He even tell me that the Polaris haven't found the fix yet.

Now, I'm not sure that the ski-doo 800 are much better. I know that all the 2008 had a lot of recalls and once that were done, it seems that the motor was better en reliability.

That is why, I'm interress to your oppinion on motor reliability only. That's it.

Thanks again.
out of the 39 of the 2010 IQ Dragon 800 H.O CFI's sold at my local dealer, only 11 came back with blown motors, and 1 was due to broken motor mount.

I know of 6 800 doo's that have blown out of the 8 2007-2010 800R's I ride with from time to time.

I have 1 friend, he has 5250 miles on his 2009 IQ Dragon 800 H.O CFI, and it is ridden almost every day for 4 months straight. gas/oil and go (after the updates)!

It is different in every area.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
IMO the Poo is still going to have better relability then the doo. Just because this is mainly a poo fan site doesn't mean that everyone's wrong. First year for the XP chassis. I like them more but I would still go for the Polaris for reliability. Once again, my opinion and I don't have any real life experience on how their reliability is, just research and driving them from time to time.

·
Registered
695 Posts
jesse500 said:
out of the 39 of the 2010 IQ Dragon 800 H.O CFI's sold at my local dealer, only 11 came back with blown motors, and 1 was due to broken motor mount.

I know of 6 800 doo's that have blown out of the 8 2007-2010 800R's I ride with from time to time.

I have 1 friend, he has 5250 miles on his 2009 IQ Dragon 800 H.O CFI, and it is ridden almost every day for 4 months straight. gas/oil and go (after the updates)!

It is different in every area.
the doos had 6 of 8 but that was over a longer period of riding. In my opinion having rode Polaris until this year the 800 p-tek is more reliable strait from the box than the 800 cfi. If your strictly discussing engine the ski doo is definitely the front runner. The chassis on both sled are good, the xp is a little weaker and because the 2008 was the first year it had some slight issues while the iq in 2010 was well developed. If i were to buy one right now I would get the doo because it would be cheaper and have a more reliable engine.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
6 of 8 is an ungodly number rarely seen from doos. I worked for a dealer and trust me we didnt have numbers like this. In fact the 800r has been a very very reliable engine. The 07(first year) 800r had some crank bearing tolerances off and we lost a couple cranks. 07 was a big year for us, we sold a but load of summit X-rs's...a little over 70 800r's total if I remember correctly. I replaced 2 cranks total. I have never seen a doo motor as unreliable as this guys talking about. You have to remember the doo motors like the doo oil, and break-in is key. Then again we have ski resorts taking these things and running them full bore from day one and running them a good 5000 miles before getting rid of them. Dont judge ski-doo by what jesse has to say, I know from experience that the 800r motor is dead reliable if treated correctly and gets a little preventitive maintnence.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
BskidooC said:
6 of 8 is an ungodly number rarely seen from doos. I worked for a dealer and trust me we didnt have numbers like this. In fact the 800r has been a very very reliable engine. The 07(first year) 800r had some crank bearing tolerances off and we lost a couple cranks. 07 was a big year for us, we sold a but load of summit X-rs's...a little over 70 800r's total if I remember correctly. I replaced 2 cranks total. I have never seen a doo motor as unreliable as this guys talking about. You have to remember the doo motors like the doo oil, and break-in is key. Then again we have ski resorts taking these things and running them full bore from day one and running them a good 5000 miles before getting rid of them. Dont judge ski-doo by what jesse has to say, I know from experience that the 800r motor is dead reliable if treated correctly and gets a little preventitive maintnence.
it's different in every area. There are so many reasons for a blown motor, bad gas/oil line cracked, etc..... the 6 that I saw go down might have been fluke [?]

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
If you want balls out engine reliability go with a 600! You might not have an 800 but everyones(cat/doo/poo) is pretty damn bullet proof. Also i know you didn't say cat but the new ho motor has been doing pretty good. the chassis (f-series) is pretty darn tough. Also to note, doo's chassis are weaker pretty much across the board. Probably because they where more interested in weight savings as apposed to strength.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts