Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hearing that the new 800 is only putting out 144 hp. Has anyone heard of any other dyno reports on this new engine. If this is true I will not buy one this year. My 02 RMK with SLP pipe is hitting 144.

·
Registered
718 Posts
where did you read this?

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I'm pretty sure that is true, but I'd much rather have a reliable 800(which Polaris has failed at pretty bad the last two years) than one that makes power to compete with cat and doo but blow up every 200-600 miles like a lot of people had with the 2008/9/10 800s.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Empire087 said:
I'm pretty sure that is true, but I'd much rather have a reliable 800(which Polaris has failed at pretty bad the last two years) than one that makes power to compete with cat and doo but blow up every 200-600 miles like a lot of people had with the 2008/9/10 800s.
Ok I'm sure I will get flamed or some crap for this.

The 800 CFI's aren't that bad. My father has 2, One with 2500 miles and one with 1500. Not a single problem, all the updates done. I think this is another case like the Fusions, Everyone and their brother who has heard they're bad spreads the word like mad. The only people I PERSONALY know that have had horrific problems with them were modding the piss out of them, or running high HP shots of NOS.

Now that being said, I do believe Liberty was idiotic for using single ring pistons. And (Polaris/Liberty??) had their heads up their crack with the 5 fuel maps or what not.

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
500EFISKS said:
I am hearing that the new 800 is only putting out 144 hp. Has anyone heard of any other dyno reports on this new engine. If this is true I will not buy one this year. My 02 RMK with SLP pipe is hitting 144.
That's very close to what my 07 RMK Dragon 700 was rated at stock.
Oh ya,
and I ride the piss out of it, and it Still runs with no issues.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
the 144hp 800 is rated at 144hp at dynotech. But, polaris is putting the power to the ground. And the Pro-RMK for instance is alot lighter. Power to weight ratio.....

dont let the numbers let you get shaded.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
its all about the weight to power as jesse500 said, i believe ive herd something along the lines of 7lbs=1hp used ? you start shaving 50-60 if not more lbs your talking about a huge advantage right there, then at that point itd be interesting to see how much torque the new 800's are putting out.

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
My 120hp sled has beat many 140hp rated sleds stock for stock,the most powerful sled on paper does not always mean it will be the best sled to have. I have only seen that 1 dyno test as well,and that is a preproduction sled. It seems like the fuel maps always get changed some before hitting the dealer floors. Give it time and some real world tests before jumping to conclusions.

·
Registered
718 Posts
it's all about rider skill, not how much horsepower you got on your ride. years ago, before these twins were able to reach the 140ish hp level, (that was triple territory at the time). people used to high mark with "low" powered engines say a 670, 700 600. the 670's and the 700's reaching 110+ hp and the 6's reaching atleast 105. they still mtn climbed and didn't complain about it. like i said before. all about rider skill.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I've never seen anyone riding a DYNO down the trail or across the lake, and as the others that have commented, its not about how much HP your making at the crank, its how much your getting to the track, my old 130 something HP 98 XC 700 has put the smack down on many newer 800 class sleds with more HP, the only thing my sled can't do is compete in new sled suspension technology, but my ditch banging,mogul bashing snow cross wannabe days are over and I am more focused on going fast in a straight line, if I were in the market for a "brand new sled" I would buy the polaris as they are all I have owned for the past 15 years, call it brand loyalty or whatever, in the end I would base your choice of sled on what you feel the most comfortable on and not by what the DYNO sheets have printed on them.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
you have all the people that say you dont race dyno's, and then you have the people that say why cant polaris build an 800 cc engine that can compete with cat and doo? i personally wonder why polaris cant make an 800 engine in 2009-11 with all the technology we have that makes more power and runs longer than the engine they used to have in 1996?

they have huge throttle bodies that should help peak hp, ves, efi and better ignition to help low and mid hp, single ring to make more hp but really shortens the life of the engine before a rering.

there is zero excuse for what happened in the early models. polaris let the consumer be the test pilot. i hope that anyone that bought one has good luck becuase we dont need tons of topics and thousands of posts of nightmares like we did with the early models. shame on polaris, great body but then drops the ball on the 800 class sleds.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
madcow said:
shame on polaris, great body but then drops the ball on the 800 class sleds.

Well, at least the twins.....

They made 2 damn good 800 triples.

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
madcow said:
i personally wonder why polaris cant make an 800 engine in 2009-11 with all the technology we have that makes more power and runs longer than the engine they used to have in 1996?
Emissions is the biggest factor,there would probably still be a few triples being produced if it wasn't for the EPA. The 800 CFIs would have been a good motor if polaris wouldn't have leaned the piss out of them to meet emissions. Adding a power commander with a more optimal fuel map ads 22% more fuel in the midrange,that shows how lean that motor is running and why they are all melting down. Soon all 2 strokes will have to be direct injection or equivalent and in the more distant future I could see them all being 4 stroke to meet emissions.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
triples especially in larger cc's are easier to get to pass epa rules.

ski doo and cat are building "160" hp engines so why cant polaris, do cat and doo not have to pass emissions? it seems that polaris is getting cheap on there sleds. wait untill you get your mexican atv and the recalls about body parts and wireharness's not installed correctly start pouring in.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
It's been reported that the Poo ATV line will be moved to Mexico.

Here is a link to an earlier thread

http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic/114783/display.aspx

1 - 20 of 28 Posts