Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently noticed that when starting a "Service Engine" message flashes 5 times and then goes to the regular instrument gauges after that. The sled runs fine so I am not sure if this is a new message or what? The only thing I have done recently is add new fuel and change spark plugs. All other fluids are topped off.

The plugs I removed were several years old and looked somewhat normal with brownish/tan electrode and oily threads. The replacement plugs I put in where ones sitting in the spark plug holder under the hood for many years. I have new ones I will swap out tomorrow but just wondering if anyone has seen the Service Engine flash and then go to normal mode.

I do have a service manual but unfortunately it does not have any trouble shooting information about this issue. All it says is to hook up the "Digital Wrench" which I don't have.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Update:
  • Replaced the plugs again and added additional fuel.
  • Topped off oil reservoir

I still receive the blinking service engine message at start up. After that everything seems fine though it did seem to give out more exhaust smoke? Based on the appearance of the plugs one is running richer though I have never had a fouled plug and the engine still runs like new with under 3,000 miles. I rode it for about 9-miles or 30-minutes on the lake this afternoon and it still rips. The temperature was under 10 degrees so that could have caused the lengthy higher idle at start up.

At this point there is only a couple weekends left of the season. I may just wait it out and continue to operate it and have it scoped with the Digital Wrench after the season.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update:

Spoke with the service manager at my dealer and he said the Service Engine blinking at start up is not an issue based on how it is running fine, and likely just needs to be cleared with the Digital Wrench. He said that message comes on to remind customers to bring it in for a check-up after a certain amount of miles. He wasn't sure if there was another way to clear the message or not. I will check the service manual again but I think I will have to bring it in which will include renting a trailer X 2. Their shop rate is $129 per hour though a flat fee of $59 to scope it and clear messages.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update Final:

I found another section in my service manual that explained the reset procedure. The MFD Service Interval can be manually set to what ever hours you chose to program. I believe this may have been set by the dealer in 2012 as a way for them to possibly create more revenue. On page 3.29 of the service manual it explains how to reset "ENG" so it will not flash at start up. I am glad that I have this information as I did want to rent or be a burden on someone with a trailer to the dealer. The initial $80 service manual purchase has paid off on this one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts