Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone i am an owner of a 2014 Polaris Indy 550 since last october and am enjoying it in the snow that we have gotten here in the northeast. I am worried that i am pushing the sled to hard and past its limits in 2 feet of snow because from what I know this is just a casual trail sled and not meant for this. This is my first sled so i am a total noob to this. I have a little of 200 miles on it now. Is the engine capable of taking this kind of use or is it strictly meant for groomed trails and not this kind of deep powder snow. Also, if i throttle it to hard to get it moving again there seems to be a loud knocking noise once it kicks in and goes. feedback would be nice thanks.

1,792 Posts
Not sure about the noise, but I'd take it easy to break in the engine properly by not "boondocking" it. Ride where it isn't too deep (8"-12") and stick to trails or tracked snow. I wouldn't think that snow would harm a fan sled once it was broken in (600-1,000 miles).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Your sled should be pretty much broken in by now. I am not sure either what the noise is, but the 550 fans can be worked hard with no issues. My cousin has a 2011 with 2000 miles and no issues. He is a bit of a worry wort and did put bigger jets in the carb though.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Does it sound like it's coming from the engine or the track/skid area? Have dealer look at it if it is still under warrantee. If not, lift the rear end and run it to see if you can hear it knock again. 85 miles on mine without any issues so far.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a loud knocking noise on my 2012 Polaris 550 fan. It started after a nice trail ride and we go onto a lake with deep, wet spring snow. The chaincase adjuster had worked itself loose and the chain was skipping under the heavy load. We towed it home and took it back to the dealer, under warranty. Obviously the dealer or factory failed to snug up the lock nut adequately. Herr is a photo of a similar chaincase. The adjuster is that long bolt sticking out to the right with the locknut on it. You'll probably need to remove the muvvler to get this good of a look at it.
http://www.snowmobile.com/gallery/gallery.php?g2_view=largephotos.Largephotos&g2_itemId=17407

1 - 5 of 5 Posts