Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what's the difference between them all? according to those pitches? i have a 2006 yamaha 40 4 stroke outboard on a 16ft lund skiff. i'd like to save more fuel with it and have some 'working' power. meaning still be able to cruise with a heavy load. any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
what is the weight of your boat, you dont want to over rev, and definitely dont under rev your motor at WOT.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i guesstimate about 800-900 lbs with motor and gear. with a full load probly over 1k..

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
A 4 blade prop will have a lot more lower end oooomph whereas a 3 blade prop will take you across the lake faster. Same with pitch, a lower pitch is better for low end power for stuff like wakeboarding, skiing, tubing. Higher pitch is more for speed. And like polarisorbust said, prop blades and pitch will directly correlate to the rpms your motor will run at wot. Some more info...
http://www.onlyinboards.com/Ski-boat-accessories/boat-propellers.html

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
okay thanks for the info guys. i installed a 4 blade 13 pitch 10.5 diameter prop on there, seems to be stronger taking off out of the hole. just have to find out under load, i am a fisher man so i needed a good prop that would let me cruise with my skiff. what i fish for out here is tom cod, herring and flounder. lotta hard work, but fun and it's just in our lifestyle.

·
Registered
646 Posts
From my experience, if you buy a stainless prop, and you hit something, it will not give as much. Therefore, if you should hit a rock, or sand, or something, it can take out the whole lower unit. Saw it all the time when I worked at the local marina in college. Pitches also can change torwue and low end speed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts