Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I was wondering. I was on a river today and I got my sled up to 70mph and that wasnt the max casue I didnt have it throttled down. But I was going thru a field of snow shortly after that and had it hammered down (4 ft of powder) and my sled (yamaha phazer 500 deluxe) has small paddlesI would sayd about half your index finger length unless u got long a$$ fingers. But anyways. I couldnt get the spedometer passed 60 mph in the powder. Is it a torqure or traction thing? I am just wonderin why I couldnt get it passed 60 havin it hammered and on the river I did 70 easily.

YamaWHAT? YamaHA!

·
Registered
975 Posts
I'd say traction. You're usually gonna go faster on the lake than you are in powder because of the hook-up with traction. Powder you spin more than anything. That's why most races are on lakes or if they're in fields it is compacted for traction. Plus being in that much snow you're pushing alot at the front of you're sled. Mark

·
Registered
155 Posts
thats a good explanation mrpolaris, but if it was a lack of traction that caused this his speedometer would show a much higher speed because obviously his track would be spinning out. must just have been pushing too much snow or something.

Celebrate Your Indepence With A Rocket...Ride Polaris

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah but if it were traction woldnt it go above 60 mph? Cause I mean Im thinkin it like car terms. in snow u can get ur car up to like 120 just gassin it. And when on regular roads u cant get it up that high. But Like for my snowmachine wouldnt it like be reading like 80 or 90 if I have it pinned down as hard as I can get it. But it only read max 60 and I had it cranked out. But on the river I didnt have it cranked out and it only read 70 also I think I was goin 40 but sped read 60. It just dont make sense to me. I mean I know where ur goin with the replies above this but shouldnt it make it up there anyways and I am thinkin cause its pushin all that weight on the front end with that much snow it dont have enouph power or torque to get it up that high.

YamaWHAT? YamaHA!

·
Registered
155 Posts
thats what i was saying above, ryder. if it would have been a lack of traction your speedometer wouldn't just show 60, it'd be much higher and bouncing around.

Celebrate Your Indepence With A Rocket...Ride Polaris

·
Registered
975 Posts
Whoops! That's right if you're spinning then the speedo would show higher(Thought of that right after I said the traction statement).That's why I think it was more of pushing the snow. That's the only explanation I can comeup with that makes sense. I'm picked out and usually don't have that problem. Mark

·
Registered
80 Posts
I also believe that your clutches are not going to "shift out" all the way when you are pushing all that much powder. The clutches will keep you in a "higher" gear. This could be part of the reason the speedo did not go up as high as on hard-packed snow also. But I could be wrong again!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by confusedguy:

where did you find 3ft a snow???

[/quote]

HAHAHA. Ya where?

·
Registered
290 Posts
You have to set up your suspension differently in powder, plus the drag you get in the powder if your first thru it, a long track with a 700-1000cc will cut thru powder nice without losing to much power and speed.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Well ppl heres the deal, your primary clutch is activated by RPM while your secondary clutch is a Torque Sensing unit. Its calibration is what is slowing down your speed in deep snow. After all if you were to go WOT with no load on the engine (no traction), it would over rev and blow chunks, not good. The secondary clutch on each of these machines does alot more than just have a place for the belt.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts