Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey
I have a 89 305 with a blown tie rod, and im lookn to either rebuild the 305 with rockers a cam and thro on some long tube headers or I plan on finding a used 350. What would be the best idea to do? Which would produce more Hp im not sure what they produce from stock?

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Are you serious? 350 vs 305 isn't a hard choice. You want some power get a 350 4 bolt block and put a 400 crank in it. 383 baby!! 350 not only has more power but parts are cheaper because they are a dime a dozen.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Drop a 350 in there, may need a adapter for the tranny, not a big chevy guy so I don't know.

305's are nice on gas but thats about it, start pulling stuff and you can tell real quick.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yah thats what i thought, well 350 it is then thnx guys but still one more question
I found a 90 350 carb/injected itll bolt right in for reasonably cheap but it has 330,000 kms, when rebiulding it what should be replaced
rings
bearing
[:I]
im a little new at this, more used to small engines and i want to try my hand at something new.
Any help and tips would be highly welcomed
and even some adds ons to this engine
Is a cam and rockers worth it?

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Originally posted by Xcsp610
[br]yah thats what i thought, well 350 it is then thnx guys but still one more question
I found a 90 350 carb/injected itll bolt right in for reasonably cheap but it has 330,000 kms, when rebiulding it what should be replaced
rings
bearing
im a little new at this, more used to small engines and i want to try my hand at something new.
For a proper rebuild I know I'll miss something lol.
Pistons, all bearings, timing chain set, headjob, oilpump.
It's easiest to find a reputable machine shop to do your machine work and get their advise on the rebuild since they'll be helping and they do it alot. Machine shop will boil your case and heads and inspect them for any hidden damage(cracks). Won't charge you much and it'll really prevent hidden problems waiting to happen.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Originally posted by GotMud
[br]Are you serious? 350 vs 305 isn't a hard choice. You want some power get a 350 4 bolt block and put a 400 crank in it. 383 baby!! 350 not only has more power but parts are cheaper because they are a dime a dozen.
By far the most bang for the buck. With all the improvements with technology the 383 stroker is just as reliable as the 350.

Bryan

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Originally posted by ibreakstuff
[br]
By far the most bang for the buck. With all the improvements with technology the 383 stroker is just as reliable as the 350.

Bryan
Yep that's right. It's actually not hard to do either. Have to grind a groove in the block so the rods don't hit, that's all. Gotta make sure it's a 4 bolt block though, 2 bolt mains won't hold up. And the sound screams here I come get the hell outta my way! A buddy put one in his camaro and it was insane.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Originally posted by GotMud
[br]
[br]yah thats what i thought, well 350 it is then thnx guys but still one more question
rings
bearing
For a proper rebuild I know I'll miss something lol.
Pistons, all bearings, timing chain set, headjob, oilpump.
It's easiest to find a reputable machine shop to do your machine work and get their advise on the rebuild since they'll be helping and they do it alot. Machine shop will boil your case and heads and inspect them for any hidden damage(cracks). Won't charge you much and it'll really prevent hidden problems waiting to happen.
With that many miles they will be boring and grinding the crank. Other then that GotMud nailed it.

A 350 will probably run you $600-$800 US. That was about the average between 4 350's when we rebuilt engines in class.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Now by saying a "blown tie rod" do you mean a bad crank rod or a bad push rod? Other than that I would definitely go for the 350 over the 305, more power! If you were close to CT I could get you a 350 out of an early 90's G van with 15K rebuilt for $50, yes $50 dollars, five zero. Only thing is you have to pull it from the van yourself [:D]

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by 88400
[br]Now by saying a "blown tie rod" do you mean a bad crank rod or a bad push rod? Other than that I would definitely go for the 350 over the 305, more power! If you were close to CT I could get you a 350 out of an early 90's G van with 15K rebuilt for $50, yes $50 dollars, five zero. Only thing is you have to pull it from the van yourself [:D]
yep bad push rod

Edit and wow 50$ thats a steel if only i was closer [:(]

·
Registered
360 Posts
the funny thing is the 305 and 350 have the same crank just the 305 has a really small bore you want power go with the 383 a good set of heads flat top pistons decent cam you want some rpm's go with a solid roller steel crank thats alot of money but 350 is easy to build done around 4 to 5 myself not one has blown up yet if you do rebuild the motor yourself take your time trust me it will pay off check your clearences on the crankiam building 2 350's now and one of them i have almost 500$ in it i might build a 383 out of it. but i have a friend who has a 385 40 over 350 with the 400 crank he just had it gone threw to freshen it up he has got almost 6grand into it just the motor that thing put your gut into your throat way to much power for his car at the time its a 69 nova his 383 is a 2 bolt which i think hes crazy going that far on a 2 bolt you go that far get a 2 bolt and get the splayed main caps and get the block line honed stronger then a regular 4 bolt block. sry for rambling on. but there is alot of nice stuff you can do with a 350. nick

·
Registered
725 Posts
[br]
Originally posted by 88400
[br]Now by saying a "blown tie rod" do you mean a bad crank rod or a bad push rod? Other than that I would definitely go for the 350 over the 305, more power! If you were close to CT I could get you a 350 out of an early 90's G van with 15K rebuilt for $50, yes $50 dollars, five zero. Only thing is you have to pull it from the van yourself [:D]
yep bad push rod

Edit and wow 50$ thats a steel if only i was closer [:(]

okay, LOL, you had me confused. Go with the 350, bulletproof.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
I have a 383 with a turbo 400 tranny in my F-100. We ordered it from a place in California that specializes in them, it makes around 375-400 hp, but I have a little addition waiting to be put on that will put her to 500-550 hp. It'll give it a slight whine sound.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Careful on the stroker motor (383). I have built 4 of these. My first one blew up. I hit about 7500 rpms and the bottom of the piston hit the crankshaft counterweight. My VERY EXTENSIVE research on the subject led me to the truth. Do not buy a run of the mill kit from a parts warehouse. You need a 400 crank and 5.7" connecting rods (stock 350 length). Then, the pistons need to have the wrist pin holes machined higher. You will also gain much more power from using the longer rods. A run of the mill kit will send you stock 350 pistons(standard wrist pin machining), a set of 400 connecting rods (shorter than the 350 5.7's), and a 400 crank. The only part even worth keeping is the crank. Be very careful if you go this route and you will have a serious screamer. Good luck.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I bought my 85 GMC 4x4 with a 305 2bbl in it. After a few passes of the main street here in town it started to come undone. I went down to the local insurance salvage yard and bought an entire 84 Chevy 2WD for with a 350 under the crinkled up hood (I later found out that it had a 2 month old 700R4 transmission in it). I brought the truck home, pulled the motor, tranny, rear end, wheels, brakes, and anything else I figured I would use off of it and donated the truck to the Kidney Foundation.

The Kidney Foundation in Saskatchewan has a deal that if you donate an unwanted vehicle, you get it towed from your place for free, the local salvage yard pays the kidney foundation for the car, and I get a tax rebate for making a donation.

The 350 that came in the truck had great compression, I measured up the crank and stuffed it in the truck. I put my own parts off of my 305 on to it Ie: Alternator, starter, fuel pump because I knew all that stuff was good. I've had that motor in there for 4 years. And I have a brand new tranmission on the shelf that I can put into my shortbox Chevy 2WD I'm going to build one of these days.

Good luck with whatever you do, but whenever I need a new part, I just go buy a whole truck, always seems to work out cheaper in the end.

Spence

·
Registered
347 Posts
[br]
Hey
I have a 89 305 with a blown tie rod, and im lookn to either rebuild the 305 with rockers a cam and thro on some long tube headers or I plan on finding a used 350. What would be the best idea to do? Which would produce more Hp im not sure what they produce from stock?
Sorry I didn't notice that you have an 89, that's going to be EFI. I think the fuel/spark maps are different from a 305 to a 350. If you end up going with a 350, you may need to get a computer out of a truck with a 350. It shouldn't be that hard, they should be everywhere. If you do decide on a 383, I think you can run the 350 computer no problem. It's been so long since I was looking into this stuff that it's starting to get a little grainy. Hope this helps. A great place for this question would be on www.chevytalk.com

Spence

·
Registered
360 Posts
can you say them boys not to smart for standing that close to it if you ask me. nick

1 - 20 of 20 Posts