Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here's where I'm at. I got this 87 safari, and The guy I bought it from said it was ring seized, from sitting. So I thought what the heck no problem. Just redo the top end, inspect, replace needed components and abracadabra presto chango a 377. Well it didn't go so well and from what I gather it looks like the fuel pump diaphragm had hole in it and the previous owner tryed to get it going the last year and couldn't. The problem is, the gas tank was full of water. So this engine siphoned water into the pto side of the crank and sat for a year. So now I need a crank. Would it be a good idea if I bought a blown top end motor and use the bottom end. I can pick one up for a hundred, guy says it still runs but on one. Should the crank be ok? Or am I a wishfull thinker

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
if you see that bearings are rusted I wouldn't try to fire it up, might be cheaper to find a whole engine or a running beat up sled. im pretty sure you can put a type 503 fanner in there also, basically a 500 fan cooled. so u have a 2nd option also and go faster..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts