Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[purple]What's the progress on 4 strokers? Anything new?(besides the RX-1). Is Honda going to enter the snowmobile market? What about BMW? As you can see, I don't subscribe to any Snowmobile mags. . . This site is much more fun than mags and you guys/gals (pc) are so informative! Anybody know wazzup?[/purple][/size=3][/font=Comic Sans MS]

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Arctic Cat GSXR??
http://www.snowgoercanada.com/news/news.php3?newsid=167

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Cat is suposed to come out with a mid year production of I think they are calling it the F9, but it will have the Suzuki bike motor the 1000 GSXR.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
A couple of my sledding partners no the cat dealers around here, they are testing it right now.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
thats pretty interesting. Like to see how they fit an engine that large and heavy compared to the F7 and F6 engines in there and not throw off handling geometry.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
That's why they aren't out right now, and by the way you made a typo, it's the F5.

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
Dude, everybody steals everybody elses ideas. In Everything. Someone figures out something that's good, everyone else will do it. If you think it's just people ripping off Yamaha, you are wrong. Yamaha ripped off the A arms from Arctic Cat, so did Ski Doo, and I bet before we know it, Polaris will have A arms. When Yamaha got rid of those TSS tube shocks, they ripped off Polaris' trailing arms. Ski Doo also ripped off Polaris' trailing arms, blah blah blah.

Fact is, everyone takes everyone else's idea. John Deere comes out with an automatic steering tractor. Case IH, Caterpillar... they all come out with auto-steer. Case IH develops a Rotary combine, John Deere, New Holland... They all have rotaries now. Once Case IH's patent runs out on their Quad-trac, All the MFG's will have them.

So nobody is just picking on Yamaha. It's that way everywhere.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
If Polaris goes to A-arms i'll be happy, hey I actually won't have a reason to not enjoy riding them.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
I like yamaha, but they are kinda a shady company, they play dirty in my opinion. I have heard of them pattening a lot of rediculous little things, one thier watercraft and snowmobiles that limits the other companies to do things or build off those ideas. They have also tryed to patent things that other companies have thought of. Overall, everyone steals from others. Just like apple stole from xerox and like microsoft stole from apple.

In the 4-stroke department, next year we should be seeing some competing 4-strokes. I think all 4 major manufacturers will have out 4-strokes that will be insane and be about the same in the performance line but will come in many different shapes, sizes, and cylinders.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I don't like Yamaha's business practice. Lets just say I don't think anything has ever been serviced on any Yamaha without someone trying to deny that there is a problem. I know lots of companies do that but Yamaha does it to an extreme.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Originally posted by erick
[br]I like yamaha, but they are kinda a shady company, they play dirty in my opinion. I have heard of them pattening a lot of rediculous little things, one thier watercraft and snowmobiles that limits the other companies to do things or build off those ideas.
Didn't Cat do this with the A-arms for a while there?

On another note, I was reading my SnowTech mag the other day. Aparently Blade was originally going to call their ugly a$$ 4stroker the Venom. But had to change it to the Outlaw due to some legal issures surrounding that name. Some time ago, I thought I had heard or read that Yamaha was going to come out with a 750cc 4stroker called the Venom. Interesting stuff.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
That blade may be ugly but it sounds real nice!!!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree with P-Man. I think they call it "Benchmarking" when one company steals ideas, concepts and processes etc. from another company. Sounds politically correct to me! Let the other guy fund development/testing.
Anyway, has anywone heard about Honda's efforts to enter the snowmobile market?

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Yamaha also stole the cat's eye's of cat, or they just look a lot a like, they positioned them very close to cat's.

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
Actually cat took "cat eye" headlights from the viper...

ZRT 600, what's wrong with a non A-arm suspension, that you hate so much? Please enlighten me as to what is so bad about trailing arms. I'm dying to know. I only ask because you cannot enjoy riding a machine with trailing arms.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Yamaha RX-1 headlights closely resemble the headlights of their very own YZF-R1 motorcycle which, as many of you know, is where the RX-1 got thier engine based from. Also, the RX-1 and Viper share similarities in the headlight design too.

IMO..it's just a cooncidence that Cat lights and Yami lights look alike, plus it looks awsome. IMO..Arctic Cat designed it to look like a cat with feline-shaped headlights, and a nose too. Just my observations.

Oh yeah, back to the topic:
Polaris has a 150 hp turbo-charged 4-stroke twin cylinder in their new PWC's.
Lets hope it makes its way to snowmobiles too!!!

Here's a pic:
http://www.polarisindustries.com/product/wat/4stroketurbo.asp

1 - 20 of 21 Posts