Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i found a motor that might work in my golf cart the guy has a arctic cat 400cc fan cooled motor for sale and i dont know if it will stay cool enough in the golf cart body would i have to re jet it to run it durring the summer or something like that comes with everything and runs for 175 but will it over heat under the hood or should i put a fan and some hood luves on it for vents i need an opinion i dont know for shure some one HELP!!!![confused]

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
It should work, i know a bunch of race kart teams use liquid, fan, and free air sled motors. Just make sure its got plenty of room to get air and disperse the heat. Yes you will need to rejet it for warmer conditions You could possibly get a radiator fan to put in to blow cool air directly on it. Remember its a sled engine so it will run the best as the coolest possibly temperatures.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Last year I saw a guy took a motor out of an Apex and used it for a dune buggie.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Empire is spot on. polarisripper, Empire has already said jetting will have to be adjusted for warmer temps. This is a MUST, otherwise you will be running super rich.

If it is fan-cooled, it should be just fine in an enclosed space. Just make sure the fan shround exit leads to an opening in the cart body so hot air can escape the motor bay.

If the motor is a free air, You will definitely need some sort of way to get cool air (or blowing air) into the motor bay

·
Registered
18 Posts
It should work well, basically the same clutch setup, you will have to rejet, just get a cylinder head temp guage if you have a fan cooled, the motor shouldnt heat up too fast anyway, them transmissions are geared low so the engine wont have to work as hard.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Glad you arent on my golf course! Better make it a little quieter as well, them duffers wont be happy when they here some kid and a BRAAAAAPPP go flyin 60 down the fairway.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
You will have a lot more overheating problems with a liquid cooled

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
an electric fan blowing on it probably wont be necessary since the flywheel has a fan blowing air directly through the cylinder head fins. But yes, find a way to get outside air into the motor bay and a way to get the hot air (that comes out of the fan shroud) out of the motor bay. Remember you don't want dirt and dust to get into the clutches.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
It's not that it "might" work. It WILL work if it is set up properly. Fan cooled sled engines are exactly the same as any other fan cooled engine. you reget and you're good to go. Have fun, I bet it'll rip.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts