Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have advice on longer more agressive track for 2001 MountainCat? Do I have to stick with special track for cutouts for the coolant radiators under tunnel?

Much Apprieciation!

·
Registered
283 Posts
You dont have to buy a track thats notched for the coolant lines but if you dont you have to cut them in yourself. I did that twice on my ZR 800 and it seems to hold up fine. The other option is to either buy a U-cooler (fabcraft makes some), or make your own coolant lines. I made ones that run through a 3/4" pipe up in the corner of the tunnel to a heat exchanger in the back of the tunnel. Thats how my sled is now because i put a king cat suspension in it with a 162" attack 20 track on it, didn't have to cut the track and it stays plenty cold enough. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info 02zr600ce! I am installing the same track, 162" attack 20. My tunnel is made for a 144" track already so I am hoping not to have cooling issues. I have seen a 151" track on a 136" tunnel on a 2000 t-cat and it stayed cool.I found some drop brackets for the rear mounting holes that should keep the track away from the heat exchangers and if that doesn't work then I will cut the track. By the way, how did you cut the track(ie. tools)?

Much Apprieciation!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Even with the drop brackets you will probably have to cut the track lugs to clear the coolers up front by the drive shaft? I've used both a standard jigsaw and an air saw(basically a tiny sawzall). They both worked well, use a metal cutting blade though either way that way it will kinda melt and cut the track at the same time instead of tearing up the lugs with a wood blade. And while your at it you should port the track too, is kinda sucks but it saves weight and will get more power to the ground.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds good! I have both tools but probably the air saw would be best. I also have seen the track porting and if I have time I might give it a try. I am kind of in a hurry to get things back together(I shredded my stock p.o.s. track and still waiting for the new one) so I can get out and ride.
Thanks for all your help!

Much Apprieciation!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I got everything back together. I had to shave a quarter inch off the lugs and make cut outs for the coolant lines. The drop brackets make the sled look like the new M's. The sled has no cooling issues, even in low snow conditions. What a difference the new track makes! Totally different sled! Only bad thing is over 100 miles on track swap and I already blew a belt and a 15 wide chain. Something has to give I guess. Small price to pay for traction.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts