Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my 488 fan ate it's crank bearings, I found a good deal on a 440 from a sport. Should I use the sport muffler (smaller) or the 488 muffler. I have both.

Also, just rebuilt the clutch on the 488, but the 440 came with one, will my 488 clutch be good, or should I use the 440, and if so do I need to change my driven?

The top end of my 488 was perfect, will it bolt onto the 440??

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?

I realize it's kind of a boring sled, but there's quite a few knowledgeable people on this site, and I'm assembling it this week.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
im pretty sure that the top end bolts on, i think there the same crankcase aslong as its the FUGI motor, the clutches swap out and id use the 440 pipe if thats what motor your using. im gonna be doing a swap like this soon for a friend.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I'd use the 440 pipe, the 440 primary (the weights and springs will be different), change the parts in the secondary to 440 spec helix and spring (they may be the same, I am not sure though). The top end of the 488 will more than likely NOT bolt onto the case of the 440, as the bolts for the heads are almost certainly in a different spot to accomodate the larger bore.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Originally posted by chadd
[br]I'd use the 440 pipe, the 440 primary (the weights and springs will be different), change the parts in the secondary to 440 spec helix and spring (they may be the same, I am not sure though). The top end of the 488 will more than likely NOT bolt onto the case of the 440, as the bolts for the heads are almost certainly in a different spot to accomodate the larger bore.
Wrong.

The 488 top end will bolt directly onto the 440 bottom end. I would use the 488 top end. It'll give you a few more HP.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Wow, I didn't know that, everyone I had talked to said it couldn't be done. Thanks for the catch,

Chadd

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank You, everyone, for the input, think I'll switch everything to 440 for a while, everything is new, and change back to a 488 next time.

Wishing for snow!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts