Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i have a 04 sno pro 440 and and a 03 firecat 700efi. Im getting ready to put the 700 into the 440 sno pro and im wondering if theres a way to tie in the timing control from the 440 to the 700 motor and if ican use the rear heat exhanger off the f7

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Quinlan can tell you for sure, but yes you can use all the cooling from the f7. It's actually recommended for the conversion. You need everything from the 700 into the snopro. You also will need to play with clutching/gearing. Hopefully someone can give you a better less general idea.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks im new to this forum so how do i get to talk to Quinlan? Im not looking to bug anybody just talk to someone that has done the swap and let me know what to expect

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
I guess that would be me. I have a 06 440/700efi conversion. I did extensive research on the build, but unfortunately did not have the time to build it myself in the timeframe I wanted it done by, so found somebody to do it for me.

The timing dial goes with the 440 motor. If you want to play with the timing on the 700efi, you'll need a timing key to do so.

Yes, you can use the Firecat cooling system, but you will need to cut up the tunnel in order to install it. I went this route on mine. If I were to redo it, I would install a custom u-cooler under the tunnel. It will cost more, but looks much better in the long run, IMO.

If you go the Firecat route, here's what it may look like:
2008212123529750_3852.jpg

It may be a long process that involves some extensive swearing, but once dialed in, the 440/700 conversions are an absolute riot to ride. I love mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the help, i think im going to look into the u cooler. What seems to be the best gearing and what helix do you have if you have the 440 secondary

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
If you get the 700 installed, ditch the Team secondary and install the Cat roller off the F7. It will allow you to dial it in a lot easier. There are lots of other guys that will tell you the same.

If you want to get it setup pretty close right out of the box, use the entire drivetrain from the F7 in the 440 chassis...driveshaft with drivers, jackshaft, brake rotor, and gears/chain. This way you can install the factory F7 gearing and clutching, and should have a good runner almost right away. It sounds like alot more work, but it will be worth it in the end, IMO. I did this on my conversion as the Firecat gears/chain are MUCH cheaper than the Borg Warner setup the SnoPro's use.

As far as my setup, I'm currently running 20/39 gearing with 10t drivers, a 1.7" track, and a custom clutch configuration. It runs about 95mph on hard pack, and pulls like a raped ape while getting there. I also have a BMP Y-pipe and Pipe Mod for that extra little pull through the bottom and mid-range. The best part is that I can ride the hell out of it, and still know it'll get me home at the end of the day.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nice thats what ill do, i guess im most concered about the heat exchanger, i cant seem to get a hold of track2trail and it seems like no one is selling the cooler. do you know where i can buy one?

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
Travis (track2trail) would have been the first guy I would contact. He is actually the guy that built my sled back in 2007. If you try email and phone, you should be able to get a hold of him eventually.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Orrrr you can use the rear coolers found on Zr's, Zl's or any of those sleds. Mine are from a mountain cat. All I had to do was re weld the fronts of them so that the intake/dischrage of the system exited through the top of the tunnel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks man that is what i was looking for, my buddy has a zr parts sled and his old man welds so that the route im going, i just put my motor in today and everything was drop in but the streering what is everyone using mine hit on the fuel rail.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Your steering hit the fuel rail? mine hit the front left bulkhead brace... but that i just filed down.

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
I believe 04 was the only problematic year for that...05-07 ran a different steering system. If you can, I'd update to the newer steering setup. Otherwise I've seen people simply raise the steering post where it mounts at the bottom.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yea the 04 steering is terrible but i just turned the post around and extended the upper tie rod for now untill i do the update. My buddy has a 99 zr parts sled and is giving me rear exchangers but im still waiting for them. Any problems with the 1 3/4 track rubbing? I just bought studs with double backers and tall nuts but those wont be lined up with the exchangers. Also im planning on just cutting into antifreeze holding tank line, does it matter what side? One more thing where did you get that sick sticker?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts