Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so today i was talking to some guy about a factory 440 race sled and we got talking about trail conversions, he was trying to tell me that a lc dome was to convert a 93 octain sled to a 91 or 87 octaine sled because they dont make anything production that runs higher then 93 octain. and i tried telling him that a factory race sled comes with 110 octaine heads and oyu need to put trail (lc) domes on it to run 93 am i wrong? he says his 04 mxz800 blair morgan edition is a factory race sled and he has done nothing to it and he runs pump gas, i just wanna get your guys think, i think i'm right but i'm no expert but i've done alot of research seeing how i want to buy a 440 racer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,722 Posts
trail conversions were to get the 110+oct 440's down to pump gas(93 oct)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
511 Posts
As mentioned, stock race sleds (at least 440's; I think Doo's 600RS run on pump from the factory) run on 110 octane, and trail converting them allows them to run on low 90's octane (although they do lose a bit of power).

The Blair Morgan REV's were not factory race sleds. I think there may have been a few race parts, or similar parts (not really sure), on it, but they used consumer motors, which have always run on pump gas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok thanks guys... i love going to a mechanics school were everyone knows everything HAHAHA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,299 Posts
B.M. edition skidoo's were a sticker package, just trail sleds with fancy graphics and a little different valving schedule for the shocks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,546 Posts
The BM sled was a replica sled with the trail motor and the mxzx shock valving.

The race sleds until 08 were 110 octane sleds that when trail converted with low comp heads can safely run pump gas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
584 Posts
I hate when people think their sled is something else just how some people with pro-x's think they have a race sled and some people think they have a "2006 dragon" when it was that fusion with different graphics and a suspension package.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,722 Posts
You mean my pro x is not a race sled?????[thumb]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,450 Posts
You mean the 2003 Polaris Pro-X 440 i wish i had isnt a race sled? :p

But a race sled runs on 110 or 112 octane, a trail conversion switches the head to lower the compression a bit and run on 92 octane. Which also includes a large gas tank, jetting, clutching.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,450 Posts
the fact that your sled has a 965cc 195hp motor doesnt make it a Race sled.... I could put that motor in a Touring sled, doesnt make is racer. Just sayin.......

And tell your buddy he is dumb.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
jesse500 said:
the fact that your sled has a 965cc 195hp motor doesnt make it a Race sled.... I could put that motor in a Touring sled, doesnt make is racer. Just sayin.......

And tell your buddy he is dumb.
Don't see where my friend is dumb,as a matter of fact i think it takes a certain degree of intelligence to assemble the package he produced, such as forsight to thermal coat the combustion chambers and pistons for longevity of the engine and also to record all relevent info from the BoonDocker controller while the sled was on the dyno so it can be ridden as a daily rider. Also i give him credit for addressing all other aspects of the sled,ie,Fox float shocks,C&A skis and all other aspects to make this a complete package. As for the price i paid he has 4 other sleds and he's just moving on to a new project,no different than me trading one of my engines that has never been started for a sled that would be considerably less than what i have invested in the engine. Time for a new project.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,108 Posts
heshtesh said:
jesse500 said:
the fact that your sled has a 965cc 195hp motor doesnt make it a Race sled.... I could put that motor in a Touring sled, doesnt make is racer. Just sayin.......

And tell your buddy he is dumb.
Don't see where my friend is dumb,as a matter of fact i think it takes a certain degree of intelligence to assemble the package he produced, such as forsight to thermal coat the combustion chambers and pistons for longevity of the engine and also to record all relevent info from the BoonDocker controller while the sled was on the dyno so it can be ridden as a daily rider. Also i give him credit for addressing all other aspects of the sled,ie,Fox float shocks,C&A skis and all other aspects to make this a complete package. As for the price i paid he has 4 other sleds and he's just moving on to a new project,no different than me trading one of my engines that has never been started for a sled that would be considerably less than what i have invested in the engine. Time for a new project.
Do you race it?

If you don't then it would be considered a modified or "mod" sled, not a race sled.

A race sled is a sled specifically designed for racing.

You can make a trail sled into a race sled if you are racing it! Or you can buy one already set up, or even a factory race sled.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
ripperd said:
heshtesh said:
jesse500 said:
the fact that your sled has a 965cc 195hp motor doesnt make it a Race sled.... I could put that motor in a Touring sled, doesnt make is racer. Just sayin.......

And tell your buddy he is dumb.
Don't see where my friend is dumb,as a matter of fact i think it takes a certain degree of intelligence to assemble the package he produced, such as forsight to thermal coat the combustion chambers and pistons for longevity of the engine and also to record all relevent info from the BoonDocker controller while the sled was on the dyno so it can be ridden as a daily rider. Also i give him credit for addressing all other aspects of the sled,ie,Fox float shocks,C&A skis and all other aspects to make this a complete package. As for the price i paid he has 4 other sleds and he's just moving on to a new project,no different than me trading one of my engines that has never been started for a sled that would be considerably less than what i have invested in the engine. Time for a new project.
Do you race it?

If you don't then it would be considered a modified or "mod" sled, not a race sled.

A race sled is a sled specifically designed for racing.

You can make a trail sled into a race sled if you are racing it! Or you can buy one already set up, or even a factory race sled.

I don't but he did.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,299 Posts
Polaristhewayout said:
he meant the buddy from the original post.^^^^

And a true trail conversion icnludes oil injection
There is no such thing as a "true" trail conversion. Trail converting a sled means adjusting it the way you want to make it ridable on the trails. The large gas tank and oil injection are not necessary for a trail converted ex race sled.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top