Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you know any sort of mod you can do to a 440 fan.

·
Registered
750 Posts
i have a xcf with same motor. not much you can do with them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah thats what i have been hearing i did recently have it bored .60 over and got a new team clutch.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haha yeah but then i have to put coolers in.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Not really motor mods, but I have mine clutched and geared, putting a 144 track on soon. You can buy a pipe for it also.

Awhile back I was rockin a 488. I love a fan due to simplicity and light weightness(not to mention the cheaper insurance). My buddy (a catmaster tech) was going to bore another 488 I had for me 60 over but I need something reliable in the backwoods and Im not sure that would have been

·
Registered
538 Posts
depends on how far you wanna go. theres always porting, milling the heads, case and manifold matching, and you MIGHT be able to find a pipe out there for it. (i know AC used to sell tuned pipes for their 440 fan sleds like the Jag)

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Many manufactuers don't produce performance products for fan-cooled machines because its simply not worth it. You can do a wide array of things and after all it will still be a 440 fan. You can play with gearing and clutching to get the most out of the motor, and if you really wanna get a few more horsepower out of it you can do what has already been said and port/polish, shave the heads ect. Not worth the money in my opinion though, if I were you I would ride it as is and save your money for a bigger liquid-cooled machine.

·
Registered
103 Posts
For what it's worth, I've seen many attempts at trying to get higher performance out of stock sleds fail. I had an Indy 400, bored it to 488 and ported, and it was faster when it was stock - plus I burned it down. My dad did the same with another 400 - but bored to 440 with twin pipes (I leave the manufacturer's name out of this). He'd run his next to another BONE stock 400 and they'd be side by side. There are some instances of trail sleds (like some of the older Yamaha's) where a new pipe will make a difference. But in my opinion, just raise stock clutch engagement about 500-600 RPM by grinding a notch in the clutch weights, drop a main jet size or two from stock, STUD IT, make sure the engine has good compression (if not, bore it just enough to get compression back), make sure everything is staight, clutches clean, good bearings all around, have the limiter strap set in the best position for what you want to do (drags?, trails?), seal the pipe joints, and let her go. You could also wrap the pipe with insulation (a hotter pipe is a better pipe).

I know a lot of companies will say things like "10hp increase with our pipe", etc. But then you have to re-jet, test, and re-jet again - and in the end you probably wouldn't even see the 10hp. You'll run the risk of burning down your engine because of these new unknowns. There are times when cleaning up the ports will work, but again - you may create new lean spots in your cylinder and run the risk of burning down.

Even if you start with a 60hp sled and increase the hp by 10%, you're still only at 66hp - that's not a very noticable difference. Plus, on the XCF, Polaris did a pretty good job of getting as much out of that motor/pipe as they could. Clutching and studding is where you'll see the most improvement.

Just my two cents.....

·
Registered
258 Posts
No real worthy mods. Maybe clutch kit but thats about it. Take it for what its worth......a 440 fan cooled sled that will go for 10-12k miles with regular maintenance and attention. If you want something bigger sell it and get a 500,600,700cc liquid.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey all,

Got a 440xcf for my wife( very occasional, inexperienced, rider) from a friend. Figured it would be a good trainer. This is the 2nd season. She gets nervous that the sled revs to 5000 before clutch engagement. Thought about changing the primary spring to get lower engagement, say 4000. Is 5000 the normal engage RPM for the stock 440xcf? Not worried about "top end" performance.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Is it a 1999-2001 year XCF? Then yes, 5000 is normal because in these years, The XCF was a "race" sled and weren't that reliable.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
why would you want to "mod" a 440 f/c sled? [V]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Polaris_Parts_MN said:
Is it a 1999-2001 year XCF? Then yes, 5000 is normal because in these years, The XCF was a "race" sled and weren't that reliable.
This is a 1997 XCF. Just looked at the primary spring, it"s a yellow spring. Book says it should be red/white

ultrastud said:
why would you want to "mod" a 440 f/c sled? [V]
Actually "De Modding" trying to decrease engagement for a new rider.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Put a red/white spring in it and that should bring it back down to normal engagement speed.
I think Ultrastud was referring to why the Original Poster would "mod" a 440 fan.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
^^^ polaris parts man would be correct ^^^

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
440 fan performance....thats a oxymoron like Military inellegence or hambuger steak

1 - 19 of 19 Posts