Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1992 xcr 440 is running on one cylinder, i put new plugs in it and only the clutch side is running...... the other side has a white tip when i check it so its running lean.....but i haven't changed any of the setup on the sled, it just started to do this out of the blue.....could my oil injector be bad or do i just need to mess with the carbs[?] A little help on this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
maybe a oil line is pluged... If you have white tiped plugs the sled should not be running...

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
perhaps a CDI... I had a similar problem with my 92 440 xcr. Do a search under my name, i have quite a few posts reguarding my sled.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I've got a 1991 440 Polaris Indy Sport GT that's doing the same thing... Only the PTO cylinder will wire... The Mag side cylinder has spark, and it looks like the plug is wet... I'm kinda baffled as It's deffinatly not been running lean (plugs are lightly blackened but not oil fouled) and It just happened the other day out of the blue. Kinda baffled on it.

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
The only thing I can really think of is what ripperd said mabe a CDI box because I had a problem like that on my old 400...Do both side seem to have the same amount of spark or is one dimmer then the otherside??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes i think one side has a better spark than the other.... also when i put a new plug in it runs on one cylinder,then when you pick up speed you can feel the other cylinder kick in and you take off like usual,, but would this cause the tip of the plug to be white?

·
Registered
59 Posts
OK, I know very little about Polaris engines. However I had a similiar problem on an old Kawasaki engine that is in my 80 JD Sportfire. Spark was good, carburator was good, and compression was good. Idled for crap, could not get max rpm's out of her. One plug did not get as hot as the other and was wet where other one was burning lean. It ended up being one of the rubber end seals on the crank was missing a chunk. This allowed for air to enter the engine into the crankcase. Not a good thing. Can burn up an engine this way.

I took the engine out, and removed everything that needed to be in order to split the crankcase from the top of the engine. Replaced the old seals, cleaned the halves of the engine case, resealed with a good permatex gasket sealer, torqued case back together, allowed sealer to cure for a day and away I went. Sled idles great, has top end, etc...

Like I said, I'm not familiar with Polaris however I believe that this is a common design. Since your machine is over 10 years old it is possible that a seal like this may have failed.

Have you checked compression to verify rings are good??? If that is good the end seals may be the culprit.

Gooooood Luck!!
Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts