Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the deal, I would really like a 440 snopro or a 440 rev x to ride around off trail and have something I could really ride hard. I'm also interested into doing a 600 conversion. I was just wondering what would the prices be on a trail converted 03 440 snopro or a trail converted 440 rev x?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
The 02/03 SnoPro's go pretty reasonable. They were in the Firecat chassis, and were nothing spectacular, IMO. If you are going to get a SnoPro, spend the money for a 04+ to get a stronger chassis that is rider forward. I saw 02/03's this winter for $2000. Similarly, I've seen 04's for $2500 (though usually closer to $3500 for a full trail converted 440). Keep in mind a true trail conversion will run you $1000+ if it isn't already done for a 04+.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Quinlan said:
The 02/03 SnoPro's go pretty reasonable. They were in the Firecat chassis, and were nothing spectacular, IMO. If you are going to get a SnoPro, spend the money for a 04+ to get a stronger chassis that is rider forward. I saw 02/03's this winter for $2000. Similarly, I've seen 04's for $2500 (though usually closer to $3000 for a true trail converted 440). Keep in mind a true trail conversion will run you $1000+ if it isn't already done for a 04+.
I'd completely stay clear of the 02' SnoPro 440 firecat chassis. Rode great. Broke something EVERY time I rode. I had a 700efi in mine, and the motor was reliable. Blew out the brakes, which blew out the chaincase ( all one piece and the brake rotor is mounted to the cog shaft ). Expensive sled to get parts for as well.

A lot of people like SnoPros, I personally dont. Although they are extremely rugged, and I loved how tough my 04' was, I must say I dont think I will ever get one again, unless its a new one ( 08+ 600 ).

If you can, stay away from the 03' Rev 440's as well. They aren't bad sleds, but they are much weaker than the 04+. Much cheaper to find any already converted 600 sled ( I paid $2300 for my mod ). Or you can get a 440 for $2000 and spend $1500+ putting a different motor in it.

Here's a video of me ripping an a-arm off my 02 1/2'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rEuekcpMro

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
sledcrusher said:
I'd completely stay clear of the 02' SnoPro 440 firecat chassis. Rode great. Broke something EVERY time I rode. I had a 700efi in mine, and the motor was reliable. Blew out the brakes, which blew out the chaincase ( all one piece and the brake rotor is mounted to the cog shaft ). Expensive sled to get parts for as well.
From what I recall, you got taken to the cleaners on that sled. It was more than likely ridden hard and any problems overlooked by the previous owner (and maybe the owner at said time). The a-arm issue only helps verify that. If that small drop really sheared it off, it had other problems before hand. Every sled will be a problematic nightmare if not cared for properly and inspected thoroughly. There's a reason you must go through a used sled with a fine tooth comb before a purchase.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Quinlan said:
sledcrusher said:
From what I recall, you got taken to the cleaners on that sled. It was more than likely ridden hard and any problems overlooked by the previous owner (and maybe the owner at said time). The a-arm issue only helps verify that. If that small drop really sheared it off, it had other problems before hand. Every sled will be a problematic nightmare if not cared for properly and inspected thoroughly. There's a reason you must go through a used sled with a fine tooth comb before a purchase.
I was just saying because of the major differences, and when something does break, its a PITA to find parts for. Things like hoods and seats are easy to get for them. But brakes, chaincase, and other assorted parts were for that chassis only.

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
sledcrusher said:
I was just saying because of the major differences, and when something does break, its a PITA to find parts for. Things like hoods and seats are easy to get for them. But brakes, chaincase, and other assorted parts were for that chassis only.
It comes with the territory bud. Race sleds are harder to get parts for, that's just life. Sometimes you have to be prepared to spend hours or even days/weeks hunting down parts, or suffer retail sticker shock if it's urgent. If you want parts availability, buy a consumer sled.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Quinlan said:
sledcrusher said:
It comes with the territory bud. Race sleds are harder to get parts for, that's just life. Sometimes you have to be prepared to spend hours or even days/weeks hunting down parts, or suffer retail sticker shock if it's urgent. If you want parts availability, buy a consumer sled.

I've never had any experiences like that...

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Quinlan said:
sledcrusher said:
not to mention that sled sounds like ass in the video

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
flatlander_summit said:
Quinlan said:
sledcrusher said:
I've never had any experiences like that...
Yeah...riiiight... [;)]

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Polaristhewayout said:
Quinlan said:
sledcrusher said:
not to mention that sled sounds like ass in the video
700 efi with some kind of pipe ( it was bmp or something like that? ) and a rumble pack. I personally liked the way it sounded.

And I have had no problems with parts availability on any Rev race sled, or my 04' SnoPro. The thing about that 02 1/2 was the parts were ONLY 02 1/2, and you couldnt even buy a lot of them new.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Powervalve cable was out of adjustment so it studders for a second at 7200 rpms. Thats another thing with new sleds, so many parts can break. I like that Ski-Doo had ( I dont think they do anymore ) the variable exhaust is opened by the exhaust pressure, not by a computer operated cable.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Polaristhewayout said:
It doesn't sound like its running right though is what I was gettin at.
Sounded rich IMO...

Nice temper tantrum throwing your helmet there sean.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
sledneck1978 said:
Polaristhewayout said:
It doesn't sound like its running right though is what I was gettin at.
Sounded rich IMO...

Nice temper tantrum throwing your helmet there sean.
I was selling it the next day which is why I was so mad. That also wasnt my helmet, that would be my skid plate.. And no, plugs were a nice cardboard brown.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
If you can find a 2004-2007 Ski-Doo Mxzx or 2004-2007 Arctic Cat or 2005-2010 Polaris IQr, 2003-2004 Pro-XR.

I dont know your financial stand point, but PERSONALLY i would find:

1. 2004+ MXZX
2. 2005+ IQr
3. 2003-2004 Pro-XR
4. 2004+ SnoPro

As i dont like Arctic Cat at all.....

The only thing that i really dont like about skidoo, is the NUN issue, people seem to say theyre a known pain in the ass..

This summer i am wither going to find a Pro-X or a MXZX, depends on the best deal.

I think you should always steer clear of first years of a sled, as the bugs always are still being worked out.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm only looking to spend about 3k, that's totally dependent on my job this summer aswell. I can agree about the nun issue, that's the only real thing holding me back from the doo's right now. That's why I'm looking at some race sleds that I know I can ride hard and not really break anything. The tough thing that's bugging me is that I only want one sled but it's very difficult to find a sled that will do nice on the trails and get good gas mileage, then be able to pound around off trail.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Empire087 said:
I'm only looking to spend about 3k, that's totally dependent on my job this summer aswell. I can agree about the nun issue, that's the only real thing holding me back from the doo's right now. That's why I'm looking at some race sleds that I know I can ride hard and not really break anything. The tough thing that's bugging me is that I only want one sled but it's very difficult to find a sled that will do nice on the trails and get good gas mileage, then be able to pound around off trail.
"Get good gas mileage", you are looking at the wrong sleds

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
rich1374670x said:
Empire087 said:
"Get good gas mileage", you are looking at the wrong sleds
I agree with rich. Race sleds arent for fuel economy. I'll probably be getting 5-10 with a 600. My other 440 got 6-8.

Not sure what sled prices are like there, but theres an almost perfect condition 2004 MXZx 440 here with an 06' 600 SDI motor. That'd be over 13mpg and still be able to take a beating. If your looking for off trail and not to much jumping, why not go long track instead of race sled?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts