Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering which engine was better a 440 liquid or a 500 liquid. like what are the hp ratings, which one is more reliable/durable, i have to decide which sled im getting between the two.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,786 Posts
they have about the same HP, as long as both are stock, the 500 is more reliable. the 440 will most likely need a new top end every 3000 miles depending on the year
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats what ive heard that the 500 is more reliable and that the 440 needs new pistons, heads, crank, whatever every so often which makes the 500 the sled of choice. i was just wondering being that im deciding between the two sleds to buy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,786 Posts
from my assumption of your other topics, you are doing Cross Country racing? then that edge should work great. the 44's arent the sled of choice for long distance races
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey thanks, i thought that all along but a few people still thought that the 440 was the better sled but i guess i forgot to mention to them that i race cross country. thanks for noticing. btw i like ur signature.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,786 Posts
hahahaa thanks! yea if everyone knew it was cross country, then they would be saying use the edge
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i know but i guess that part is my fault, whereabouts is buffalo, mn?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,226 Posts
500 gets my vote it is a pretty good engine but if your 440 liquid is in a pro-x chassis and if the 440 is trail converted it should be about the same durability level as the 500. 440's are a very underrated engine if u set them up right they give just about any sled up to a 700 a run for its money. The 500 has good power stock which would surpass the 440 stock, but it all depends on what u want to do spend the money for a rebuild and get the better chassis then set the 440 up the right way by clutching and what not, or buy the 500 and get the weaker chassis compared to a pro-x. The edge chassis is strong do not get me wrong but the pro-x has more bracing and different shock setup. It is a trade off situation whatever way u look at it. Good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,450 Posts
500v.e.s motor will surpass the 440 in all speed levels (bottom end, top end) if even clutching and geearing is done. 500 is faster, more reliable, and more fun
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the posts i like the 500 because i wont have to trail convert it and spend extra money just for a stronger chassis when i know the edge is only slightly weaker, and i plan on messing around with a few other things like gearing and clutching and maybe open the jets on the carbs for max performance, and even put a pair of walker evans on. i guess we'll see what happens, winters a long way off (unfortunately)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,450 Posts
To be honest, Walker Evans shocks are not that great. See link below:
http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=155510&hl=Walker+Evans

If you are cross Country racing the sled, a 500cc motor, and an edge chassis sled is a much better idea, the Pro-X chassis is not a high-speed running sled, due to rear suspention angle, and overall suspention. The 500v.e.s motor can be held wide open all day, with no worries, with a 440, a minute or two of WOT, and i would worry about over-heating, as the 500 motors peak power RPM is about 8100rpm, the 440's is about 8600rpm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jesse500 said:
To be honest, Walker Evans shocks are not that great. See link below:
http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=155510&hl=Walker+Evans

If you are cross Country racing the sled, a 500cc motor, and an edge chassis sled is a much better idea, the Pro-X chassis is not a high-speed running sled, due to rear suspention angle, and overall suspention. The 500v.e.s motor can be held wide open all day, with no worries, with a 440, a minute or two of WOT, and i would worry about over-heating, as the 500 motors peak power RPM is about 8100rpm, the 440's is about 8600rpm.
yea i kinda figured that because the 440 is a more short race engine and not endurance motor and was just wondering what you guys thought. one thing i did not no about the proxr is that the suspension was higher which i guess can cause problems when you need to be low to the ground and a loose suspension
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,786 Posts
jesse500 said:
To be honest, Walker Evans shocks are not that great.
i have them on my dragon and i love them. they need to have an stiffer charge from the factory but after that, they are amazing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,450 Posts
Dragon700 said:
jesse500 said:
To be honest, Walker Evans shocks are not that great.
i have them on my dragon and i love them. they need to have an stiffer charge from the factory but after that, they are amazing.
Your Walker Evans shocks are a new model, and are a different model with more years to fix there problems. The Walker Evans shocks for Edge/Pro-X are not that good, only good for 1000ish miles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
564 Posts
yeah for the work of trail converting, which can be a real hassle the 5 is the better choice. The 500 just runs, I had a stage 2 main clutch spring in it and it would off the line keep up with 700 triples and mach 1s. This is a polaris 500 your looking at right? The one problem I have had with mine is very simple fix. If for any reason it seams like its running week or bogging down this is usually all it is. (the guys at a shop called Statz in Waunakee Wi) are amazing with Polaris stuff. The spark plug caps get loose from the engine vibration, very typical of the 500 indys. Not to worry. The fix is an aftermarket set of spark plug boots that will cost 3 or 5 dollars for the pair. Once these are on ur problems will be gone, also it helps to by the spark plugs that dont have the screw off caps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,450 Posts
JEEPS101 said:
yeah for the work of trail converting, which can be a real hassle the 5 is the better choice. The 500 just runs, I had a stage 2 main clutch spring in it and it would off the line keep up with 700 triples and mach 1s. This is a polaris 500 your looking at right? The one problem I have had with mine is very simple fix. If for any reason it seams like its running week or bogging down this is usually all it is. (the guys at a shop called Statz in Waunakee Wi) are amazing with Polaris stuff. The spark plug caps get loose from the engine vibration, very typical of the 500 indys. Not to worry. The fix is an aftermarket set of spark plug boots that will cost 3 or 5 dollars for the pair. Once these are on ur problems will be gone, also it helps to by the spark plugs that dont have the screw off caps.
your talking about a whole different motor, and chassis. not much similarities in the two.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
564 Posts
Yeah, woops misread it. Question on those though the xc and xcsp? are the radiators still under the running boards? or were they moved?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,450 Posts
JEEPS101 said:
Yeah, woops misread it. Question on those though the xc and xcsp? are the radiators still under the running boards? or were they moved?
You own a 1997 Polaris Indy 500? That is the evolved chassis(2 chassis previous to the Edge, which is he is talking about(pro-x220x) which is a whole different sled). The '97 polaris's have the heat exchangers under the running boards, the XcSp's have them in the tunnel. You have the 488cc Fuji Piston Port liquid cooled motor, he has the 499cc Liberty v.e.s motor, HUGE difference in HP (80HP vs. 105hp approx).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
JEEPS101 said:
yeah for the work of trail converting, which can be a real hassle the 5 is the better choice. The 500 just runs, I had a stage 2 main clutch spring in it and it would off the line keep up with 700 triples and mach 1s. This is a polaris 500 your looking at right? The one problem I have had with mine is very simple fix. If for any reason it seams like its running week or bogging down this is usually all it is. (the guys at a shop called Statz in Waunakee Wi) are amazing with Polaris stuff. The spark plug caps get loose from the engine vibration, very typical of the 500 indys. Not to worry. The fix is an aftermarket set of spark plug boots that will cost 3 or 5 dollars for the pair. Once these are on ur problems will be gone, also it helps to by the spark plugs that dont have the screw off caps.
yes it is a polaris 500, its in the edge chassis, it a 2002. its actually in my profile pic, from what i know its a pretty good snowmobile(i havent bought it yet) so yea. but i do remember my prox 440 fan having spark plug problems, but we fixed those soon enough.
 
1 - 20 of 97 Posts
Top