Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the axel shafts in a shift on the fly four wheel drive straight axel always turn? I have my 85 full size blazer and am considering installing a spool in the front. Of course the only way I could do this is if the axels are not always spinning. Otherwise it would handle probably dangerously in normal road conditions. Anyway know? I don't have locking hubs if you didn't understand that. This would be an awesome performance upgrade for the 4wd off roading capabilities if it works like I hope. Lock it in four wheel and with the planned eaton or auburn posi it will be true 4wd ripping the terrain away.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Yes. I believe so.

You said you do NOT have locking hubs. Does that mean they are an intergral part of the hub and you have no ability to lock or unlock the front axles? OR, does it mean you have an automatic locking hub that locks when torque from the driveshaft engages the wheel?

If my brain is on today, i'm pretty sure that back in the mid 80's is was a solid always locked hub. If so, then yes, your front drive axles are always turning (and wearing down) even when 2WD is engaged.

The spool? The only way i would put a front spool (solid differential) in is if you had manual front locking hubs to disengage the wheels. Otherwise, NOWAY. It's too much stress on the driveshafts. Even 2000 horsepower Moster Trucks don't use front spools! Unless offroad is the only road it will ever see. Personally, i would leave your 4x4 system the way it is and just install some type of limited-slip or locker front and rear and away you go.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah guess I will put a limited slip in the rear and leave it at that. Don't have the money for front and rear posi.

·
Registered
88 Posts
my Sonoma has a LSD in the rear and i couldn't imagine having an open diff... when it locks it's locked solid... good for getting out of snow banks, mud, peoples front lawns... ditches... pulling my snowmolbile trailer...... oh, and laying 2 strips of black on the pavement... and many others... :D

sorry.. love my truck i do. :p

97 Skidoo MXZ 670
2000 Sonoma ZQ8

1 - 4 of 4 Posts