Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this machine is a little newer, but its 17 years old. I've got a lean spot on a '90 Indy 500. It idles fine, but at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle it bogs out, and will die. The thing screams after 1/2 to full throttle. The plugs look good, but a little on the lean side (light brown+dry). I've cleaned carbs (pilots, mains, all passages, and chokes). I have replaced all fuel lines, pickup filter, inline filter, and shut off valve. I also set the needle clip to the lowest setting, problem is still there[:(!] Should I start looking at seals/gaskets? A buddy says it may even be the primary clutch? Any info appreciated. ARCTIC

·
Registered
295 Posts
The needle jet clip in the lowest setting?
Im pretty sure on that sled it should be in position 3
coming up the needle from the bottom
If you are on position 5 which is the very top groove you will be running lean
Clutch could be a problem also......check deflection...could be engaging too soon..align the clutches
just a couple ideas
let me know what you find

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crazy- the E shaped clip is at the lowest position on the needles, i thought this would richen mixture for 1/4 to 1/2, but it doesnt seem to matter where the clip is, I get the same result? The clip was in the "middle" position before, I moved them down 2 notches. I will have to get a clutching buddy to help me with the clutch. Thanks, ARCTIC

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
This might help you.

http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=32380&SearchTerms=Indy,500,jet

·
Registered
766 Posts
Check your carb boots and crank seals while idling with some starting fluid. Then i'd pop the carbs off and clean them too, probably a plugged passage

1 - 5 of 5 Posts