Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Here's the XC with the latest upgrades...
/snofan/../images/users/500fasEnuf/side.jpg
Pure Polaris skid plate...
/snofan/../images/users/500fasEnuf/skid.jpg
1.25 inch'er waiting to paddle some snow, and new blue hyfax's...
/snofan/../images/users/500fasEnuf/track.jpg
BBQ paint on can, pipe and Y, polish job on the pipe skin...
/snofan/../images/users/500fasEnuf/underhood2.jpg
Let it snow!

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Looks Great, Did you need to cook the can after you put the BBQ paint on??

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I didn't.
I figure it should be OK, after the first few miles or so.

Have you had experience painting these before Darkstar?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Wow, those upgrades made her look better than new. The skid and hyphax add a nice amount of color to the sled, and the can and Y look really nice w/o any traces of rust.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Damn, that is one sharp looking sled! I love Polaris' color co-ordinated add-ons... I'm thinking about picking up a skid plate for my RMK =)
A blue bumper could make a nice addition, however it would disturb the clean line of the black rim a little...

I'm not sure where the front heat exchanger is on the '98 RMK, would a skid plate foul the cooling? Heh, haven't even taken a good look under the sled yet... I'm guessing that it sits on the ceiling of the tunnel, would i be correct? Then it shouldn't foul the cooling.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Looks excellent, hopefully it snows within the next month...

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
When you pulled the Y pipe, did you have to replace the gasket(s), or were you able to re-use them?

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I cheated on that one.
I never took it off.
Canvas drop cloth all over to keep rust from flying into everything.
Shop vac next to the grinder with wire brush.
Mask off carefully, and paint...5 coats at least.

I don't think you can reuse those gaskets, and they are 30 cdn a pair too.

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
She looks hungury or snow!...looks sharp

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Man that thing is looking SHARP! It's those little details that really add.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
where did you pick up a 1.25in lug track at? and how much?

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everybody...it really is the little details that make a nice sled.

650indy...My Dad polished his aluminium Airstream trailer with jewelers rouge, and had him do the pipe skins too. He thinks it look so nice I should ride with the hood off.

XCRacer...met a guy at a rally last year that had a bunch of goodies off his 2000 700 XC that he traded off on an RX1 mountain.
This track had only 200 miles on it, and it's not much heavier than my stock .82, so my top end shouldn't suffer too much. Got a steal of a deal....350 cdn.

Shock covers is about the only other color accessory I may add, but torn between red and blue.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
^^ lol, i think you should go with the blue and keep the scheme going, looks very nice as is, but i think blue shock covers would look sweet!

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Very nice sled....reminds me of the Triumph *as tear rolls down cheek* Its sitting all alone in the garage at the cabin still waiting to be fired for the first time this year.

I'd say grab some RAD rod covers Like i've got on the triumph and maybe some blue ski-loops and it would look that much better.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
500fasEnuf, you've obviously been a busy boy out in the shed all summer. That 1.25" track is a great idea. I'd be interested in hearing how the sled goes with it. i was thinking I could do that with my 500 machine and maybe get a little less stuck when I go off boondocking.

Great color scheme too.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
500FasEnuf,

I only have the experience so far of painting my pipe (or should i say started to paint my pipe) The paint i bought requires cooking it at 600 degrees for an hour which i didnt notice till after i bought it. Obviously the wife didnt like the thought of me cooking the pipe in the house :) (which would have been a bad idea anyway). Does the paint that you used have a powdery feel or does it feel like paint. I may try the stuff you got. The stuff i got will come off on my hand with out cooking. I thought about just painting it right before i take the XLT for a ride that will get the pipe hot enough...

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Offshore...from what I've heard, this is one of the best upgrades for our 500's.
EPI clutch kit may also be on it's way, am just recovering from a few grand worth of advertising for my portrait studio.

Darkstar...I'll let you know if this stuff holds. One of the guys from Agrisports here in Regina (sled parts shop) gave me the idea for BBQ piant. He said buy the cheap Walmart stuff and put on lots of coats. It doesn't come off easy at all, and feels like the outside of a BBQ. Come to think of it, I better remove the skins for the first ride till it bakes in.

Big snowmobile show this weekend, and with all the deals I hear about from the rest of you who go to those, I might try to pick a pair of shock covers there this saturday.

What do you think...
blue?.?..
/snofan/../images/users/500fasEnuf/shockblue.jpg

or red?.?..
/snofan/../images/users/500fasEnuf/shockred.jpg
The wheels, "500" and "XC" are red so red shock covers might help to balance the color pattern...although I am leaning towrads the blue.

BTW - It started snowing here 20 mins ago...[:D]

1 - 20 of 36 Posts