Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I just got a hold of a 2000 Indy 500 XC. I am pretty unfamiliar with these sleds and the liberty motor as well. The Owners Manual didn't come with the sled, so I was going to see if you guys would know. First off, I pulled the plugs and they are pitch black and have deposits built up on them. The previous owner ran Amsoil Intercepter for the past year. It fouled a plug when I started it and both had the same black appearance. The owner said that the sled needs the polaris gold oil or a high grade synthetic. Is this true? If it doesn't have valves, can't I run Polaris blue? Would running Polaris blue help the carbon and build up problem? (I had always heard that you were supposed to turn down the oil pump when running Amsoil Intercepter, and it isn't turned down; also, the rest of our sleds run polaris blue and I'd like to buy just one oil) Also, should it be any quicker than an Indy 500 with the Fuji?

Thanks,
Chadd

·
Registered
252 Posts
i never heard anything about the amsoil turning the oil pump down and it should beat a 500 fugi

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I run Shell Advance with no problems.
Pull those carbs & give them a good cleaning.

Find out what jets are in it. Something doesn't sound quite right there.

Almost sounds like the oil pump cable has broken & she's dumping loads of oil into the motor. Does it blow a cloud of blue at idle?

It will be far quicker than a 488 fuji liquid.

·
Registered
6,904 Posts
Originally posted by POLARISXC440
[br]i never heard anything about the amsoil turning the oil pump down and it should beat a 500 fugi
Those xc 500's can go! A guy arcross the road from me had one, and he was taking his bros 700 xc out of the hole for a good 100ft easy... mabey more.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Polaris blue is fine, no point in spending the extra cash on synthetic when its not needed.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My 2000 500xc came with the gold synthetic, its better for the bearings.The stock jets should be 370's, i put 360's in mine.
My 99 and 00 500xc's were a lot faster than my 98 indy 500.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is a picture of one of the plugs. I always heard Amsoil ran so clean, so I thought maybe something was wrong.

[attachment=54008]

Yes, it does seem to smoke blue at idle, but so did my 96 Indy 500, so I just assumed it was normal, as that sled never fouled a plug since I've owned it. It supposedly has stock jetting (I'll have to open it up and find out) and it was 40 to 50 degrees, so I doubt that helps matters, but the other sleds ran okay in this temperature, so something does seem wrong. Good idea on the throttle cable, I'll start there.

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
Perhaps he had the sled fogged prior to you buying it? Fogging oil may discolor the plugs due to high volumes of oil sprayed in?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by bluyx500
[br]That does not look good.
Check the fuel screws, i think stock is 2 turns out.
Put the stock champion plugs back in.
Just out of curiosity, what are the stock plugs? I've seen both RN2C and RN57YCC mentioned in books, which is correct?

·
Registered
214 Posts
pretty sure my 99 xc 500 sp ran ngk br9es... use ngk plugs champs suck

that rn57ycc plug you mention is the plug our iq 440s call for

·
Registered
286 Posts
I dont think that the oil pump cable is broke cause that would mean the motor was getting zero oil. The cable lifts the arm which gives the motor more oil so if the cable broke the arm would drop and shut off the incoming oil to the motor.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I can not remember what the plug no. is for the 00 500xc, but the newer ones ar RN57YCC.
The newer plugs are a duel heat range. They run hotter at lower rpm's ( to help prevent fouling ), and they run cooler at higher rpm's.
I have never had a champion plug foul on my 500xc's, 500sp, or my 600sp's.

·
Registered
37 Posts
it might need new needle and seeds inside the carbs because mine was doing that because wen your carbs cant hold air your cylinders fill up with gas

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Originally posted by markcp
[br]Perhaps he had the sled fogged prior to you buying it? Fogging oil may discolor the plugs due to high volumes of oil sprayed in?
My bet is on his theory.^ Plugs being black like that at the start of the season is fine, means the previous owner fogged the bitch down real good in the off season, don't loose any sleep over it, alot of theories being thrown around here, but don't get worked up and jump to conclusions. Do a compression test, if it yields good results then don't worry, at worst case the sled is running a bit rich. Put a new set of plugs in and keep an eye on it. Have you serviced the carbs? Set them up? Verified the stock jetting is in place, nothing jammed in the airbox, filter clogged? As far as oil goes you can continue to run Amsoil, Interceptor is more for sleds with valves, I would suggest running HP Injector Amsoil, either way you go Amsoil is the best 2 stroke oil out there, spend the extra few bucks its well worth it in the long run. Also in regards to turning the oil pump down, some guys I know do it, they all run Amsoil, one guy uses Klotz($$$), figure the ratio is around 70-75:1, never any problems, but keeping it at stock pump levels won't hurt anything thats for sure. Running Amsoil at stock pump level definetly won't cause fouled plugs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts