Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '99 Cat 500 ZL EFI and am having some suggish issues that I hope someone can direct me in the right direction. After it's warmed up and I throttle all the way down, the sled doesn't take right off...it slowly accelerates for about 3-4 seconds then takes off like a rocket. The sled runs great, starts on the first pull, idles fine but it just won't take off. I have a buddy that has a 440 ZL EFI and his takes off like a raped ape. From a stand he's a good 50 feet in front of me before mine takes off. Is this an ECU issue, throttle issue, fuel pump, or timing? I'm just not sure where to start...and I hope it's not an ECU problem (expensive). Has anyone had this problem or know how to fix it?

Thank you for your time and help

bendy

·
Registered
482 Posts
I am not sure if the EFI models have the same over revving protection as the carb sleds, but it basically bogs when you hit the throttle hard. Simple way to check- remove handlebar pad, isolate kill switch connector, if it has 3 wires, cut center wire, see if this solves the problem. Otherwise its likely an ECU problem or a clutch problem. You are going to need someone with an ECU programmer/reader to do anything there, but if its a clutch issue it should be a do it yourselfer.

·
Registered
78 Posts
disconnect the kill swith. if that fixes problem replace the plastic washer on the throttle and problem will go away.
if your clutching is stock get a kit from blackmagic, or if you know how to do the work yourself i can give you a good setup.
you will not believe the difference.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys for the help...though I don't think it's a clutch problem because the engines doesn't rev up when you hit the throttle hard and then take off. It's more like a slow build of acceleration. I would think that if it was the clutch, the engine would rev high when I push the throttle and then the clutch would engage hard.
I will try the wire thing though..I believe when I had the handle bar cover off before, I notice 3 wires to the kill switch.

thanks again for the help, I hope it's not an ECU issue

bendy

·
Registered
2 Posts
i wish i could help but im having problems with my 2000 ZL 500. but you defifnetely have some issues with your zl bendy. mine has 2900 miles on it and up until today would pull the skis up from a stand still . very responsive not sluggish in any way. but now it wont stay running for more than 15 seconds or so . concerned that it might also be ECU or coil pack ive tried eveything i could think of .

any suggestions anyone

·
Registered
384 Posts
You can go to your arctic cat dealer, and they offer a 3 prong plug that just plugs in. however it disables the killswitch so maybe not that best fix. just my knowledge though lol sorry if it's useless.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts