Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks

I wonder if you guys can help - this seems like the place to ask!

Here in the UK, i race a Formula 2 500cc hovercraft in the European championship. We all pretty much use snowmobile engines - my current motor is a Rotax 494. Trouble is, its all moved on - i need seriouswly more power to keep in touch.

So, what i'm after is a lead on what 500cc (class limit)twin is giving the biggest power - in the region of 100-110bhp. The Rotax 493 looks good but i understand Polaris are dishing out in the region of 110bhp. Theres very little info available here.

I'd love some advice on whats available if anyone can help - and also some pointers on US or canadian dealers that are likely to be able to supply. Also, any sites that have tuning advice?

Many Thanks, and my apologies for going completely off topic!

Cheers

Russ

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I'm sure the 500 VES polaris enginge is over 100 horse, how much I'm not sure though...There are a few aftermarket companies that sell complete motors, try a search on google or something simalar. As for tuning websites, I can be no help here!

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Can the engine be modified?

If so Polaris Liberty engines with VES or Arctic Cat's Suzuki engines have aftermarket pipes that can give you extra power. Both are around 100hp. I don't know much about the Rotax engines.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
in stock or race form, built for a specific purpose, those engines could make great power, its all what can be done how much money to spend and things like that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As long as its no more than 500cc, the rules are open, ie we can tune the engine however we like.

And to keep up with the new French craft, i'll probably have to! Really, 100bhp is going to be "almost enough" - but 110 would be favourable!

I've fired mails off to loads of companies without much success. The difficult bit is actually knowing whats available!

Thanks for the replies so far!

Russ

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hey RussP, how ya doing?

If the rules are as open as you say <insert cockeyed Smokey Yunick grin here> then why not go the full route and really smoke these guys?

I'm talking turbo. There are some outfits that do turbos for sleds that probably will adapt to the hovercraft without much fuss.

Or what about a 4-stroke that's either turbo'd or supercharged and revs to some ungoldly number?

LOL, do they limit you to only ONE 500cc motor? <evil grin #2> I loooove picking apart rule books...

Good luck,
Pneuman

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
yeah, with a turbo setup on a 500 i bet you could get 130hp out of it safely. You will need to tune to a specific RPM though. Do you use it as a rear fan? Cause that would be fine for a specific RPM situation, a fan is easy to turn at low RPMs, and your turbo 500cc will most likely make little power until 6000rpm, but around 8000rpm i bet it will scream like a mofo.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I'n my opinion it seems as though the new firecat 500 motors are the most potent of the 500's. I beleive they dynoed in at 104bhp. If you put on a pipe and port work than i'm sure it would be upwards of 120hp.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thnanks for the help and advice Gents! I should have said forced induction isn't actually allowed! Shame....!

I happened to have stumbled over a Rotax 493, already in the UK (It can get real cold in Bristol![:D]- Looks like thats the one i'm going to go for.

Single exhaust 100bhp. Will twin pipes help? There seems to be a lot of speculation here that the later engines don't give any more power on twin pipes? Seems strange if thats the case.

Can anyone point me in the direction of any respected rotax tuners? They're a bit thin on the ground here!

Cheers

Russ

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
yeah, not alot of skidoo riders on this forum. you could ask at www.snowest.com possibly, there are a few more skidoo riders and users there.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Yes Dean is correct here, go to snowest, post this same question in there Performance\Modified forum. I'm sure you'll get plenty of hits, LOTS of knowledgable tuners over there.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE! Incredibly, i did end up buying a brand new 493 from a 2002 MXZ trail 500 - from a guy in Bristol

Taken straight from a new bike which hadn't been run, its a gem and came with everything (i was worried about the DESS security system but even the lanyards included)I would hazard a guess its the only one in the country!

In any case, thanks again for your help.

Can't wait to get to the States and try a decent 130bhp snowmobile - the best you can rent in a European ski resort is a 503 powered slug...

Enjoy your toys fellers!

Russ

·
Registered
864 Posts
The 493 was still a rotary valve motor right?
I use to have a type 454 81 blizzard 9500+. It did come with twin pipes. It was a quick girl in her day.
Few tips.. I had a old skidoo racer suggest I groove the pistons. Had four light grooves machine into the stock pistons. Helped hold lube at high rpm. He clutched it for me and it would run max about 9400. You can play with differant rotary valves,a nd I did double gasket the base clynders with packable DG stingers.
Did'nt have much down low and the powerband was up between 6000 and 9400. Surprise many a bigger sled at the end of a lake.
Not sure what kinds Hp a hovercraft would need.. Constant rpm.. accel? The newer exhaust valve motors and reeds is what Bombi moved to.
Good luck.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'm pretty sure all the 440 Snocross sleds have around 105 hp too? I know the F5 did but last I knew the 440 Racers were right around there for all 3.

·
Registered
114 Posts
ALOT OF SKI-DOO riders and a high-tech discussion forum on www.snowmobileworld.com , GREAT SITE

1 - 16 of 16 Posts