Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, Some problems with my 95 Skandic.
1)Wouldn't start. Plugs were fouling even on first pull without priming. Suspected float sticking so have pulled carbs and disassembled. I didn't see any varnish in them at all and the floats and needles seemed ok when I inspected them. Regardless though, they are soaking in carb cleaner now. Am I doing the right thing? There used to be a link to a carburator overhaul tutorial on here somewhere but it is gone now. Anyone know where it went?

2)Engine has always been very hard to start when cold. Incredible resistance to pulling with the starter rope. Sometimes I actually pull the sled backwards a bit when trying to start. Best to try only with trak on the ground and skis frozen in. It makes it hard to get decent starting rpm when it is so tough. Man, do I ever work up an unwelcome sweat before heading out each time!
Any ideas as to what's up with that?

Thanks!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Make sure to use compressed air to blow out all the jets and orifices wehn you put the carbs back together. Make sure the floats are correctly set. I've also seen the float needles not seal and leak. They might need to be replaced. I have a 93 Skandic and a buddy has a 96 Skandic. Both are the 503 but his takes twice the effort to pull over as mine. Its really tough when its below zero. May just be the nature of the beast on those years.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts