Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2001 Supersport, I have tried a few things, some worked and some were a waste of money and time. Here are the ones that worked:
- polishing the stock helix, better shifting up and down, cleaner running - less stuff sticking to it
- Plastic skis, cause I like them
- ETS front suspension kit, less twitch and pitch when steering aggressively
- Raise handle bars 2 inches and move them forward also, part of ETS edge kit. Fits me better and moves me forward
- 10-64 clutch arms, improved slow speed throttle control and allows motor to pull 80 MPH @ 7000.
- added a Tach, every sled should have one!!!!
- .375 dia rear springs, cause I am 300 lbs

Now for those miss adventures:
- tall gears, 21/37. top end the same and harder on the clutch (primary)
- secondary in hole 3, raised rpm, no faster
- 46/36 helix, improved acceleration and more torquey feel. I used this with tall gears and 10-62 clutch. It was borrowed and I gave it back, I may try a 40/36 or 42/36 with the 10-64's. 550 actually has some grunt between 5500 and 6500.
- carb needle in hole 3, not the answer, 10-64's cured burble and gurgle

I still want to try a few more things but all in all the sled works well, my wife can start off slowly and cruise at 30 mph and I can still take it for a 80 mph blast. Sure its no 700 XC but it was a bunch cheaper. I like the fact that fan cooled are not as critical on jet size, I can run it at -40 or +40 (Fahrenheit) with the same jets (just by tuning the idle). Oh, and I always add oil to the gas just to ensure it has enough lube, gas today is so dry.

let her smoke

·
Registered
749 Posts
Well, first of all there is no need to add oil to the gas because it should be getting enough oil anyways. As for the mods, i have to know what you are seeking before i can tell you what to do. There is a couple aftermarket exhausts that are available for you're machine. Go on royaldistributing.com. Pipes are the only way of getting more true horsepower, unless you do some engine work(porting and polishing, head milling and so on). As for your gearing i think you might have gone down to far. Your snowmobile is only a 550 fan so you couldn't haver bought it for speed. With tons of mods, i would bet it is still only capable of about 90mph. But you will have lots of fun getting there.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Right,no need to add oil to the gas. Manufacturers already nowdays already have the setting too rich to cover their butts on engine failures.. Everybody I know backs off on theirs, but we also all run Klotz synthetic oil.....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am changing settings to see what effect they have. I enjoy tuning: for improved handling, performance (acceleration, backshift and top end) and drivability. There were a few less than optimum areas with the 550 and now they are better. I'd like to get to the point where I am getting the most out of what I have. I may buy an AEEN pipe for fall. As far as adding oil to the gas your arguements are valid, however I will continue to add oil for my own peace of mind. Years ago I had a Blizzard 9500 engine in a pulling tractor, I disconnected the oil pump and ran 20/1 with racing gas. I know of a few people that have disconnected the oil injection on outboards and are pre-mixing. I do not want to get into a I'm wrong your right post, just wanted to state that adding oil probably is not necessary but may have some merit.

let her smoke

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It really doesn't smoke any more than normal. I only add about 1/4 liter (1/2 pint) to a whole tank. I like to use premium fuel and premium has more cleaners in it so I add a bit of oil to make the gas less dry. Remember Polaris calls for a pint of oil for every 5 gallons for break-in. that translates to a 40/1 mix. My mixture would be about 200/1, which would not be enough to prevent engine damage in the event of an injection pump failure. My hope is there is enough to prevent carb bowl corrosion and add a bit of lube for good measure.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Ya there isn't nothing wrong with that i geuss, i wouldn't do it but suit yourself. More oil makes more compression, i geuss thats one good thing. If it makes you happy then do it cause its not my sled it's yours. I did find the 550 supersports to be slower than i had thought. Considering that my almost stock 488 fan will pull 85-90mph.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree, my 94 488 trail deluxe touring is as fast, starts and runs as well or better and has a nicer sounding exhaust. However when it comes to suspension the contest is all supersport. The real culprit is that the long travel suspensions require a bit more power, no problem with a 800 but very noticable with a 550. The 550 is your basic rental fodder, designed, geared and clutched to stay together when run like a stolen sled. I thought it would be faster than the old 440 john deere I had, out of the box it was not. When new it was a 70 mph sled on hard packed snow and in deep snow 30 was it. Now it pulls solidly to 80 on an average trail and does 45 in fresh snow. I am pleased with the improvement. It seemed to me that the 550 takes quite a few miles to break in, it now has 900 on it and gets better all the time. The 550 is a hard sell in my area, worth next to nothing in trade so its a keeper. I keep checking the ads for a used 600 > 700 liquid to replace it. Just to keep the boredom monster at bay I play with the setup. The 550 does respond to changes and the crew I ride with all have 440 or 550 fans so we are all the same and are having fun after being away from sledding for 30 years. My last real sled was a 70's 400 blizzard. The JD I mentioned was a write of my friend gave me 4 years ago, my sister inlaw saw it in the back of my truck and said "that will never run again". Took lots of hours and even more money to show her. The real problem was I got bitten by the sledding bug again and we are now a 3 sled family. A 2001 supersport, a 94 indy trail deluxe and a 2001 xc 120 for my 7 year old son, can you say midlife crisis. My wife rides the SS, my son and I the touring we have a blast. Boy I sure hate the hang time between sledding and fishing season.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
A 488 fan will not do 85-90 mph.Top speed on my 580 liquid cooled Xlt is only 92 mph. If you are going by your speedo they are known to be 10% off.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The best top speed on my 488 was a bit under 85 MPH on the speedo for a touch over half a mile. It only did it once and that was on a hard flat trail with a brutal tail wind and a temperature of -35 at least. The wind and cold were brutal but that 80 plus blast was a thrill, I bet that 488 never saw that before. I have never checked the speedo and it probably shows fast, most do. Most XLT owners tell me they can hit 100 on the speedo, I sure can't catch up with them on either of my leaf blowers. You can't beat a proper setup, my 12 year old nephew stays with us all the way and he has a 99 XCF 440. Sure wish I weighed 80 pounds......
A former dealer rep once responded to an owner who was complaining his machine could only go 100 and his buddies could do 105, the reply was "You don't think 100 is fast enough, jump off your sled at 100 and call me back if think its not fast enough." I fell of once at 60, seemed plenty fast at the time.
If speed were the only quest one has to use all the tricks, non studded track, plastic skis, very little ski pressure, zero toe, limited track travel, track tension as loose as possible, new bearings, engine as lean as your wallet is fat, round bar skags (no carbide), old hard smooth sliders, no windshield, heavy clutch weights, bump the timing and wrap the exhaust. Hmmm, lets start a topic, "How to go fast".

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
good-bye to my 550. the following is how it was set-up in the end.

I bought my 2001 Polaris Super Sport new in 2002, added a skid plate and a tachometer and have ridden it for 1,400 fun miles. I just sold it and because information on set-ups for the entry-level sleds is hard to find I will share some of my experiences.

The following summarizes the changes that made the biggest improvement.

- change the carb needle jet clip to #1. This change, using needle 6BGY-16-1 is a close duplicate of the 6BGY-33-3 used in the 2003 550.

- change the 300 jets to 290 jets. Polaris went even leaner in 2003.

- change the primary spring to a black Hotseat (130/300). Retain the stock 10-62 weights.

- change the secondary Silver/Blue spring setting from Hole #2 to Hole #1 for a 6800 operating RPM. I also borrowed and tested a 50 plus – 36 degree helix and it worked well. I had to return the helix and my suggestion would be a 46 – 36 Dalton helix for all around good performance.

- install a Boivin “Quick adjuster Kit” on the rear skid to limit inner ski lift. Part of the install calls for the rear torque arm to be attached in the centre hole instead of the stock most forward one. Instead of buying this kit one could relocate the attaching point to the centre hole and adjust or relocate the FRSS to increase coupling. Increase coupling until the rider is comfortable with the amount of inner ski lift on hard cornering.

- change the rear .359 torsion springs to .375 to stiffen the ride. A better choice may be to upgrade the rear shock to a FOX or ???? gas shock.

NOTE: I did try the following but none made it to the final set-up. I bought and tested composite skis, 21/37 gears, Boivin radius arm relocation kit, 10-64 weights and an Aaen pipe.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yes, but like the man said there is more than one way to skin a cat. 10-62 weights with the secondary in hole #1 seemed to work the same as the 10-64 with the secondary in hole #2. all was working good untill i put the Aaen pipe on. it appears that with the change in hp the 10-64 setup was sluggish so i followed Aaen's suggestion and went to the 10-62 with the secondary in hole #3. that raised the peak rpm too high but when i backed the secondary to hole #2 it worked well. that lead me to think and i put the stock pipe back on and set the secondary to hole #1 and that was fine also. hope that answers your question.........sorry for the delay in answering

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hey Sled-der dont did you buy another sled??? I have a 99 indy 500 and I bought an aaen pipe for it, best thing I ever did.......

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i bought a used 2001 800LE polaris, it is dead in my shop with a hole through one of the hoses, looks like the previous owner nicked it with a ???? and it finally started to leak. parts won't be in till next week. i liked the Aaen pipe but the new owner wanted the sled stock. i found that the sled did not feel much faster but it would pull with the secondary tightened 1 hole. Jetting seemed a bit more consistent also. My conclusion was not enough of a gain for the money, but there was a gain. more important does anyone have a good setup for the polaris roller secondary, mine seems to have a mind of its own!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hey sled-der, I have been using torco oil but I ended up with a gallon of klotz. I dumped a blub in my gas and get the sweet klotz smell.......boy is that stuff strong. I always dump in a bit extra oil and some iso it can;'t hurt.........

1 - 17 of 17 Posts