Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, looking for some advice. Just had the carbs off my 06 edge 550. cleaned carbs and reassembled them. Once they were installed I started engine and it revs up to high RPM and eventually comes back down to idle, but every time the throttle is applied the engine accelerates to very high RPM and stays there for 20-30 seconds after the throttle is released. Also when engine is idling normally, and I applied half choke the RPM's also increase, full choke decreases the RPM.

I did not change any of the idle or air setting screw settings when cleaning the carbs. All air fuel and oil lines have been reinstalled properly.

What could be the issue?

Thanks in advance for any information

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Gunna have to be one of the issues with the air/fuel or idle screws, or rips in the carb boots.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, tightened the boots on the engine side, they just slide in on the air box side.

What are the stock settings for the idle, fuel and air screws on these carbs?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
How about your choke cable and throttle cable? If they are pulled or pinched by any way then they could be causing the high reving.

Get the sled running or idling, let is sit for a few seconds then rev up the engine to let the clutch engage and let go of the throttle. Sled should idle down a little, once it gets done burning the extra gas it should go right down to the 15-1700rpm range...if not turn the idle screw down (tighten is higher rpms and loosen is lower rpms) until the sled is at 15-1700 rpms where it should be. if you let go of the throttle and it seems like its taking forever to idle down, turn the idle screw down a quarter of a turn and if still nothing hit the choke for a quick second.

When cleaning the carbs did you use air to blow out all the jets and where the jets sit? An 06 should have flat side carbs right???Not the old school unsrew the caps/round side?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Get the sled running or idling, let is sit for a few seconds then rev up the engine to let the clutch engage and let go of the throttle. Sled should idle down a little, once it gets done burning the extra gas it should go right down to the 15-1700rpm range...if not turn the idle screw down (tighten is higher rpms and loosen is lower rpms) until the sled is at 15-1700 rpms where it should be. if you let go of the throttle and it seems like its taking forever to idle down, turn the idle screw down a quarter of a turn and if still nothing hit the choke for a quick second.

When cleaning the carbs did you use air to blow out all the jets and where the jets sit? An 06 should have flat side carbs right???Not the old school unsrew the caps/round side?
[/quote]

The carbs are the old school unscrew the caps/round side type. I didn't blow everything out with air, just soaked everything in carb cleaner and wiped down.

When the engine does idle down it sits at the proper idle RPM. Its just that when the throttle is applied to say 4000 RPM and released the engine will actually stay at 4000 or increase for 20-30 seconds before it begins to idle down. If I try to use choke to slow engine speed down it actually accelerates the RPM in the half choke setting and will slow engine down in the full choke setting.

·
Registered
632 Posts
re-clean the carbs, blow out the jets and soak them again and blow them out again. Ive heard that if you run a pc of thin wire through them that helps, but usually just blow them out. Like stated above, check cable tension, rips in carb boots. does the throttle lever spring back or have a little sag to it? reason i ask is maybe you have a gummy cable?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am going to pull and clean carbs again tonight. The throttle feels fine, it moves freely and returns to the closed position when released.

·
Registered
161 Posts
A small string from a guitar works great for the small passages.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Found the problem. When I reassembled the throttle cable to the slide I put the knock at the end of the cable too far into the slide. There is a bit of a groove on the knock and I went beyond that grove so the slide was being held up about 1/3 of the way. Oh well live and learn.

Thanks to all for the advice.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
always good to find out that it was human error, its embarrasing to amdit stuff like that sometimes, but everyone does something stupid sometime, good thing you didnt have it run away from you

1 - 11 of 11 Posts