Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a 1990 550 and it wont start. I assume it was sitting for awhile cause the gas was really stale and smelly, so i drained all the gas, took the carbs right apart, cleaned them both. Took the fuel pump apart and rebuilt it, put new plugs in it, but it still wont start. U dump some gas in the cylinders and it fires a few times but just dies. Im running out of things here.... anyone have any ideas

·
Registered
128 Posts
Like how long does it fire and with how much fuel?
It could be something simple like a pinch in one of the fuel lines, im sure you checked that but just a thought( check to see if the lines are all connected properly to the nipples, so no air of any sort is being brought into the system, through fuel lines.

spencer

·
Registered
335 Posts
If it was sitting a while then i would soak the carbs in carb cleaner for a while. Cuz if it runs with gas in the cylinders then it is a fuel related problem.

·
Registered
129 Posts
When you cleaned your carbs did you check the needle valves to make sure they aren't stuck closed. Old gas can stick them closed like glue.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya i had the carbs off, everything soaked in carb cleaner over night, put new needle valves in them, no pinch in the lines. Should the fuel lines going to the carbs be full of gas all the time? Becuase the one line stays full of gas after pulling for awhlie but the one is always empty

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I had the same problem so I blew out my tank I guess there was some gunk in it preventing gas from getting to the carbs

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'd check the fuel pick up line inside the gas tank. It has a little filter on it. Also, pull the end of the impulse line off of the fuel pump. That's the black one in the middle of the pump. Leave the other end on the motor. Put your thumb over the end and have someone pull the engine over. You should feel little pulses of suction on your thumb. This is what makes the fuel pump pump. If there's no suction you need new crank seals. Good Luck

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
See if there is a leak or clog in your fuel lines

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ya i was at my parts dealer today and he said either the fuel suction line in the tank is warped up and sucking air or else the line from the crank has a hole in it or crack. So im ggonna check those things when i get home tonight

1 - 9 of 9 Posts