Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 93 580xltsp/sks, a real rocket ship!! I went .020 over several years ago and wanted to freshen it up w/rings and pistons this year. I dont have an oil pump and run Amsoil 100:1 synthetic pre-mix,(sled builder ran this way for 800mi. I ran another 2100mi,runs excellent around 9200rpm). Here is the problem, I know not to break it in w/ synth. and to run 1qt. of non-synth. oil per tank of gas, what would I mix the gas and other oil at to start with so it dosent burn down or sieze up during break in?? I should know but i dont think it was broke-in properly last time,ie. brown below the rings in about 1000mi.thanx!

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
breakin.... run oil at like 32:1, should be enough. Also, you may want to jet it slightly richer, since running more oil will lean out the mixture a little...

Two schools of thought on breakin:

1. Easy does it. Vary the rpms constantly, no WOT for a while, then short burts of WOT, then longer, till by like 100 miles you can go WOT for a while.

2. Ride it like to stole it.

I don't have enough expirience to know which is a better way, but one thing that is important is to MAKE SURE it's very warm to the touch BEFORE giving it much throttle. The piston will heat up and expand quickly under hard throttle, and if the block is not warm yet, you WILL get scuffing, or even a cold sieze, especially when the tolerances are tight in a brand new piston/sleeve fit...

-Dean

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey, thanx for the info but does that include the "extra for break-in"? Right now its jetted for +15*F and up(220,220,230(pto).)its got '95 PSI trailblaster pipes and clutching, will that change anything? I try to go through all RPMs and never "hold" any for a long time. It screams when you hold it too long!!Yee-Haww!

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
50:1 with modern synthetics is a good normal amount, so 32:1 is taking in account the extra for breakin...

as far as jetting, it's your call. do like 2-3 sizes abbove what is reccomended for current conditions, and you'll always be safe.

-Dean

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cool... Im gonna go with 32:1! only 1 problem?!? NOOOO SNOW!!!! just might have to work on the Scrambler400!!yea!more $$$$$!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts