Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I put 32 miles on the sled yesterday. First time out. This thing is retardedly fast. 1/8 throttle is 60 mph! Any time I hit the throttle it would just spin the track, be it at 20mph or 60mph. And that's with over 100 studs! Anyways.. my main concern is my engagement RPM. It's at 5K, and it's really hard to ease it out of corners and generally NOT take off like a bat out of hell. Being that I'm useless when it comes to clutching, anyone know what I need to put my engagement somewhere around the 4K mark? Also, at real slow speeds the belt squeeks. Even when I slowly turn the engine over by hand (like when checking piston wash) it squeeks a bit. The belt rides on the secondary about 1/8 inch like it's supposed to, but the primary rubs the belt a little. Anyone got any help?

Bryan

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
What is in the clutch for spring and weights?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, this is going to make me sound really stupid .. But i don't know. I'm going to get into it in the next couple days. I thought that regardless of engine or current setup you can decide what to put in to change engagement. But I guess if I have one color spring, I can change my weights to something else to get the same effect? So I don't have to buy both springs and weights? Forgive me but I'm a clutching moron. Give me something in pieces and I can put it together, but when it comes to this I'm clueless. I've never changed anything on any of my sleds; as they always performed well.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
I will need to know what color the spring is and the weight number or letters. To really know what you will need to change to lower engment.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
you dont want that motor coming in around 4 grand. it might become a dog. I have played with these sleds a little and they might be heavy, but they have hp!!!

·
Registered
459 Posts
If it hits that hard at engagement, it might have "notched weights" in it. 5 grand engagement helps those older non valved triples build up a little torgue before grabbing the belt. Like Madcow said, you don't want to turn it into a dog off the line. It also sounds like your primary might be shimed wrong, and belt deflection should be checked. There should be around .030 clearance between the belt and the primary clutch and belt deflection should be 1 1/4".

·
Registered
690 Posts
you think thats bad, mine engages at 6 grand, i hated it at first because it is hard to just take off slowly and first time i rode it, it took off really hard and i was smoking the hell out of the belt but now i am good at taking off i have no problems with it, actually i like it now but it would be kinda nice to have it engage at about 4500-5000 but im alright with the way it is, heres pics of mine
[attachment=47881] [attachment=47878]
[attachment=47875] [attachment=47874]
[attachment=47873] [attachment=47870]
[attachment=47869] [attachment=47867]

Attachments

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by DITCH-BANGER
[br] 5 grand engagement helps those older non valved triples build up a little torgue before grabbing the belt.
This isn't the monoblock 580 or 597. This is the 679 triple triple.
There is no shortage of torque by any means. Is there a reason to engage at 5k when all it does it spin the track? This just seems a bit excessive to me. Not my riding style at all, and I just want to lower it. All I do is ride trails; no racing no hillclimbs etc.

Bryan

·
Registered
276 Posts
i would keep it up around 5k like they said before you dont want it to turn into a dog. I have my ultra at 4800 rpm and wouldnt go any lower. You will get use to it.

·
Registered
492 Posts
if you add a little weight on your ... weights... it will bring down your engagement, but it will also change the way that it back shifts, depending on how new your spring and wrights are, it might be time to replace them anyway, I would maybe try going up 3 grams in weight, and keep the same spring, then if that dosent do it, look to a different spring, but only make one change at a time, makes it easier to trouble shoot later on.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Originally posted by ibreakstuff
[br]
Originally posted by DITCH-BANGER
[br] 5 grand engagement helps those older non valved triples build up a little torgue before grabbing the belt.
This isn't the monoblock 580 or 597. This is the 679 triple triple.
There is no shortage of torque by any means. Is there a reason to engage at 5k when all it does it spin the track? This just seems a bit excessive to me. Not my riding style at all, and I just want to lower it. All I do is ride trails; no racing no hillclimbs etc.

Bryan
We've got our selves a Big Bored XCR, sweet. My guess is it's been modified to run drags. I'm guessing the max RPM is quite a bit higher as well?

Anyways to fix your issue you need to put a little less spring in the primary. So figure out what you have and let us know, Madcow is the clutching guru and can come up with some good stuff.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts