Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many miles are "a lot" of miles for this sled?
I'm looking at a 2000 Vmax 500 with 6,600 miles. The owner said he just put new slides on and went through the suspension. He said it is "very well maintained".
He's asking $1,900
My father said that was too many miles for it to be a dependable sled.
We just moved back north from Florida (left the kids there [:D] ), so I'm sled stupid, Last sled I owned was back in 1986.

·
Registered
849 Posts
come on your talking about Yamaha durability here [:D]

that's not allot of miles, that mill will go allot longer than
that, but......you really should re ring it with that many
miles on it,it's simple and cheap to do, not a problem.

i would buy that sled in a second and sleep good at night too.

just check it over good, look at the suspension make sure
nothings bent broken etc. take someone along that nows sleds.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would agree, the engine has lots of miles still on it, but expect to do some maintenance to encure that the season goes trouble free. Spend some extra time on other details like suspension and overall condition as little things can add up!

Good luck.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have a 98 500 twin that has over 8000 miles on it and the motor has never been touched. Still runs good. I would do a compression check on it, biggest thing you are looking for is that both cylinders are close to each other.

Clarify with the owner what very well maintained means, ask him to give you a list of whats been done to the sled. One question that I would be asking is if the track was ever replaced.

Depending on what maintenance has been done to the sled I would seriously consider the following.
- pull the rear suspension, replace all worn bushings and bearings, grease all pivot points (won't cost you much and it's well worth the effort).
- replace the front suspension bushings, clean and grease ski pivot bolts and ski legs (again this won't cost you much).
- check and probably replace the speedo side axle bearing, especially if it has never been changed.
- replace the chain case lube and adjust the chain (I like to pull the cover, wipe out the crud the will probably be in the bottom of the case and visually check everything).
- check the jackshaft bearing behind the secondary clutch, if you find any play in the bearing I'd replace it.
- remove and clean the air box and carb throats, (they tend to get a belt dust build-up on the 500 twins (no cost).
- clean the secondary clutch and probably replace the plastic ramp shoes (again won't cost you much).

These are just some of the things that I have had to replace on the one that I own as the mileage creeped up.

The 500 twins are not the best on fuel and oil compared to the Yamaha triples. Generally around 12 mpg, the triples are generally around 15 mpg or better (normal riding).

You can always make him an offer and go from there.....

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
6600 miles isn't alot for that motor, i know a guy that has 15000 miles on his 600 98 Vmax , original motor, still has 120psi per jug. Do a compression test for sure, don't worry about the motor as long as it runs smooth and has solid compression. You should be able to touch 10000 miles before cracking the motor open. Like the guys said, ask specific questions about maintenance, some guys think washing the sled and fogging it is all you have to do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts