Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, guys im new here and got a questoin for ya. I'm looking at purchasing a 99 600xc, and I am wondering does that have the big block engine? And what is the major difference between the big block and regular engine... horsepower? torque???

thanks

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
The 600 big block "was" the regular engine for years leading up to the introduction of the variable exhaust valve system. The big block has a 700 cc engine block with a 600 cc head and pistons. I have heard that the 99 was a good engine. I have the 2000 big block 600 cc engine and it has good torque and ok topend but lacks fuel mileage. The new "regular" engines with VES use a block based on the 440 engine. They produce more horsepower and are more fuel efficient than the old big block engines. The new engines come mostly with the edge chassis sleds. I would look for an edge chassis sled if I was getting started. They are lighter and handle better than a 99 sled. JMHO.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah well that clears up the big block thing! I would go look at an edge sled but i don't want to pay that much for a sled. I can get the 1999 at a good price, and its in mint condition, so hopefully it turns out to be a good riding sled.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I'm betting you'll enjoy it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hope so, it looks like a fun sled!! Now if it would only snow!!!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
We have a 1999 XC 600. really good sled. has more power then what you think. we put reed spacers, bigger reeds, boost bottle and a power pack on it. plus we rebuilt the primary and seconday clutchs. i rode it on monday when we got a lil bit of snow. DAMN i can't wait to open it up now. but you'll be happy with the XC

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya I'm sure it will make me quite happy. I'm used to riding a little 440 so its gonna be a big difference.

racing_girl got a question for ya. was it difficult putting the boost bottle on, and did you have to mess with carbs. afterwards to get it to run correctly?

also, what is a power pack?

thanks!

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
After the boost bottle you would need to adjust the fuel/air mixture. In all honesty I would say pass on the boost bottle they dont do a whole lot, unless that sled happens to have kehnin carbs... which i am not sure of.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It does have the Keihin carbs on it. It matters that much about what type of carb. you have?

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
The boost bottles are or seem to be most effective on the keihin carbs and the larger bore twins (700 and 800). I put one on my 2002 XC500 and it didnt do anything at all. I took it back off.

[Edit] you may in fact benefit from one.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well maybe i will just hold of on the boost bottle. I will see if anyone else on the trails has one and see if it helped them out any. thanks for info though

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
I meant to add Best bang for the buck would be to clutch it...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
never really thought about clutching it.... what would you recommend for a good clutch kit. Or do you know of a web site where i can read up on it

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
As far as reading about clutching, do some searches in "The Shop" section of the forum.
I would recommend checking out EPI www.erlandsonperformance.com for an actual kit. Clutching is an art form that takes a lot of trial and error to learn so I prefer to buy tried and true setups.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
good deal, I will check the site out and see whats on there.

thanks

·
Registered
115 Posts
Wasn't to hard to put the boost bottle on. just have to have an exacto knife to cut the hole. it should come with instructions. A power pack goes into the carb itself. not much at all. just gotta have them sit in the carb right. basically it just separates the air flow through the carb. and yes we did have some adjusting on the carbs. not all that hard to do actually.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts