Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a new 600 classic touring to hall the kids around, sled steers easy but pushes in the corners . sled has 150 miles on it new double carbide runners 4" carbide would like trail ride it with my buddies but the way it is set up now forget it. does anybody have any ideas

thanks

·
Registered
226 Posts
Were the trails icy? Some of the trails we were on this past weekend were icy and all of us pushed in tight corners.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2002 600 Classic Touring, 2000 miles to date, and would also like to have it corner better. I have been looking for information on setting up the classic touring suspension, but have not found much information regarding this.

The OEM 4 inch dually carbide worked fairly well last year, but I still had to be very active when riding with my friends, they ride 700 one-up sleds. I set the front shock spring preload so that there were 4 threads showing from the bottom of the threaded adjuster.

I have discussed front shock spring preload at length with my friends. One opinion is that you will have better steering if you use the minimum spring preload possible. I have other friends who do not subscribe to this theory.

I also understand that the two-up XTRA-12 rear suspension does not respond to limiter strap adjustments like the one-up XTRA-12 suspension. I will be adjusting this throughout the season to see for myself.

The rear main shock can also be adjusted to change the ride characteristics. Discussions I've had suggest that you can put more preload on this shock and that less weight will transfer back when accelerating out of corners. This shock also affects the ride quality so if you want to adjust this shock, it was suggested to do it in one turn increments.

I do not think there are any more adjustments on this skidframe, but I am open to other ideas.

I have also ordered the Polaris tech manual for my sled as well, may be some information in it that will be helpful.

This is my first email to this forum and site. I trust it is not too long.

For rrknwu: contact me by email and we can discuss this in more detail.

I am changing the 4 inch OEM dually carbides for a pair of 6 inch duallys from Woodys. I will let you know how they work.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
My dad's 1998 500 Indy Classic does that two, and he wants me to adjust it for him.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
if you are riding 2up, It will not turn that great also...

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a Yamaha Venture 600 two up 136 in track.It does not corner like the Ski doo 121in track that I rode last year . That is just a fact of life . I does ride a lot smoother . At the end of the day I do not feel as tired . You just have to get used to it . All things considered I wouldn't go back .

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree that when riding two-up the sled will handle differently. I'm also very aware of the person on the back, mostly my better half. When I ride two-up I travel significantly slower.

The sled industry reviews for the Polaris 600 Classic Gen II chasis were very positive in 2000. The change between the old XLT two-up and this new chasis was significant (I owned a two-up XLT with the evolution chasis). The new chasis does not want to tip over with the same frequency as the evolution chasis. The handling is a significant improvement, and with the dually carbides, it is superb. The oil consumption is 300 miles to a quart, and the mileage has improved from approximately 95 MPG to bone dry at 141 miles (tested it last year - same size gas tank.). I realize there is a difference between the triple and the new 600 VES, but the 600 VES also has more HP requiring more fuel intake.

I sled with a friend who has a Pantera 600 two-up. AC has provided a number of different adjustments to enhance one and two-up riding.

I also tried the Yamaha 600/700 when they first came out and was impressed by the change from the old Venture with the pogo stick front end (had a'92 and '93). I had the opportunity to ride with a fellow who had the Venture 600. The XLT could not keep up when we both rode one-up.

I would like to think that with all the excellent developments in two-up machines, regardless of make, that the industry does have some way to make the one-up riding of these sleds a little bit more responsive.

I agree with Willson, all things considered, I'm not ready to change to a single machine. The 600 Classic Touring does not have the same seating space as the Venture600/700 or the big Pantera, but for a single touring machine, I feel it is an excellent machine, providing lots of power combined with a very plush ride.

I'm still optimistic that there is some item I have overlooked or not found information on, if not, I am still very pleased with my sled, and with a little bit of work can still make it dance so the one-up boys take notice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts