Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 04 XC 500 had the 660 kit installed by Straightline performance. The previous owner sent it out to have this sone. It appears that 600 HO jugs were used because the sled has the newer style VES housing with the vent system. I have attatched a picture of the setup below. The two vent tubes "T" into 1 tube and exit under the bellypan.

I noticed that the 600HO VES system was controlled by a solenoid. My sled does NOT have a VES solenoid to control opening and closing of valves. I also noticed that people were removing the solenoid system from their sled, but in that instance they were connecting the two VES valves to each other with one vent tube. Are they connecting the two valves together in a closed circuit just so the exhaust doesn't spit into the engine? Or is it necessary for them to be closed to each other for the valves to open?

So my question is, with no VES solenoid installed, and the two valves not connected together in a closed circuit, are my valves even opening???

My sled revs to 8100 and seems to have good power.

(Don't mind the melted tube, was replaced today [thumb])

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Your sled needs a solenoid to control the opening or else the outlets should be plugged. It needs pressure on the diaphragms in the valves to push them open.
I don't understand why it runs as good as it does unless the valves are stuck open, you should check them to make sure they are functioning.
Also those are not valves from a HO they are from a 440 that is controlled by a solenoid device.
You can plug them by running a hose between them and let the springs control the opening, not quite as precise but it should work just fine.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think the valves could be from a 440. The jugs are 600 jugs bored out for 700 cylinders. Thus the 660 engine.\

The valves are not stuck open, I just cleaned them recently and verified that they worked by compressing them and holding my finger over the opening on the front.

I spoke with the previous owner of the sled tonight about the valve setup. He said that Straightline told him to set up the vent system this way. But maybe Straightline thought the sled had a solenoid?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OMFG..... I hooked the powervalves to each other. The sled has TWICE the power. I can't believe I have been riding it all winter WITHOUT powervalves. It was pretty fast before, its a friggin MONSTER now. Can put it on the back bumper from a standstill.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts