Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just had a question about the 600 RMK. I want to get my wife a new sled, but she has already expressed that she thinks the 800 rmk, that i ride, is too much power and is quite frankly a little scary for her. She also does a fair bit of trail riding so I'm not thinking the 800 is good at all, since it will just overheat if its on packed trails for too long.

I was looking at the RMK 600 as a possible sled for her. Currently she rides an old 700 sks, which works great for the trails, but when she gets out in the powder, if she slows down at all, shes done. I know the 600 rmk does well in the powder, and doesnt quite have the same snort that an 800 does. My question is, how does the 600 do on trails with minimal fresh powder? I know the 800 rmk has trouble with it, which is fine, its not really made for extended trailing riding. Just wondering if the 600 has similar over heating issues on extended trail riding sessions. Just trying to find her a good sled that can carve in powder, sit on top of powder, and ride the trails.

thanks for the help!

1,792 Posts
You didn't say if you live in Colorado or NY, so I have to answer generically. The 600 RMK has a 2" lug on it if I understand correctly. If the trails where you ride get toward the thin side, I think you might want something with a 1.5" lug on it. Since I don't know how deep the snow is where you ride, I don't know if the 144" sled is just on the overkill side or if all she needs is something in the 137" range.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
If you get a standard 144" RMK, it will be very versatile. It has the front bulkhead cooler, so overheating is not an issue like the Pro RMK. Also, the 144" will have a 2" paddle which will not overheat and get chewed up on the trail like the 2.5" powder track on the Pro will. 600 powerwise will be just fine. Above 9000 feet the 600 starts to feel a little anemic if you're used to an 800, but it will get around alright. My friend rides a 2014 RMK 600 144". He rides it in Minnesota, Michigan, and the mountains of Idaho and Wyoming. I can highmark him with my 800 Pro, but we ride the same places all the time. I overheat on the trail, and he doesn't.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts