Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we got a lot of snow up here now so I have been out and about riding. Today my machine seemed to be running fine so I started hitting some drifts and noticed when I was in real deep powder spinning a lot winding out after like ten seconds it starts to bog out and sort of stutter. I noticed it earlier today. Now tonight when I was just out it was running fine and again I hit some drifts and was winding it out for about five seconds and again it started to bog and stutter so this time I started for home and noticed when I would get on the straights and get going fifty to sixty in the midrange the engine would seem to stutter. If I slowed down it seemed fine then if i got on it again it would get up to around the same speed fifty to sixty and would stutter I cracked the throttle a couple times and it would seem boggy sorry for the long explanation just wanted you all to know the facts Soooo can anyone help me out on this as to where to start looking??????? any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Carbs are fine seems to run great just not after I beat it a little bit then it starts to stutter and kinda a bog as if it starts to only fire on two cylinder or something but when I get back out of the drift and off the throttle then it seems fine but when I am cruising midrange it seems to stutter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
XLT_DEMON said:
Well we got a lot of snow up here now so I have been out and about riding. Today my machine seemed to be running fine so I started hitting some drifts and noticed when I was in real deep powder spinning a lot winding out after like ten seconds it starts to bog out and sort of stutter. I noticed it earlier today. Now tonight when I was just out it was running fine and again I hit some drifts and was winding it out for about five seconds and again it started to bog and stutter so this time I started for home and noticed when I would get on the straights and get going fifty to sixty in the midrange the engine would seem to stutter. If I slowed down it seemed fine then if i got on it again it would get up to around the same speed fifty to sixty and would stutter I cracked the throttle a couple times and it would seem boggy sorry for the long explanation just wanted you all to know the facts Soooo can anyone help me out on this as to where to start looking??????? any help is greatly appreciated.

how do i post a question guys

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ummmm you would go to the forum find the appropriate category click on it and then click start new topic/thread on thhe right side near the top of the subjects list .

Now will someone else please give me some insight as to what is causing my issue PLEASE!!!!

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Start with the spark plugs, what do they look like. One that's different from the other two is indicative of a problem with that hole.

Run it on a track stand and see if it does the same thing. Watch the clutches, see if it shifts out right.

When you are running at low RPM and go WOT does it take longer to wind up?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
Start with the spark plugs, what do they look like. One that's different from the other two is indicative of a problem with that hole.

Run it on a track stand and see if it does the same thing. Watch the clutches, see if it shifts out right.

When you are running at low RPM and go WOT does it take longer to wind up?
i have been reading all day and one of the symptoms of the high side coil going is breaking up on the top end. can check resistance with it still on the sled, go to you tube and search stator test

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well it does seem to be running a little leaner on the water pump side cylinder after I read the plugs so I made about a one eighth turn richer to see if that helps but would that make the engine bog and or stutter in the mid to high range??.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
1/8 turn richer is at idle and won't effect mid and upper range where you're having the stuttering.

Check the carb, carb boot and recoil crank seal..

You can also swap the carb with one of the others and see if the problem follows the carb. While that carb is off, take a look at the piston skirt for that hole. (not likely to be the issue, but doesn't hurt to look)

·
Registered
18 Posts
XLT_DEMON said:

Check the if the reeds are sticking.

·
Registered
5 Posts
check compression. i am going through the same issue right now and found one of my cylinders with low compression. think i have a ring issue. going to tear it apart next week. good luck. i love this sled when it is running. i almost have a totally new motor in it. just replaced crank and bearings.

·
Registered
98 Posts
change your belt and check your choke plungers, that they are going all the way down. A worn out belt will make the clutch act crazy. I have the same sled, Just got done putting 50 some miles on it about 30 minutes ago. It's my back up sled, never really rode it much until this year, I have to say I am truly impressed with it, great all around sled. Anyway, if you know your carbs are good, I would look into that clutch. Hope this helps solve your problem. Let us know.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts