Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 600 xlt triple only 1800 miles, that fouls plugs religiously since I have had it when it has sat overnight or for any long length of time. I can start the sled and then swap the plugs out with new ones and it runs like a champ. I just can't figure out why it is so cold blooded and foul prone.... I have a theory that it is running rich. I am not familiar with leaning out the injection mixture. If anyone could give me some advise or tuning links I would apprieciate it.....

Thanks much......

Louie

·
Registered
287 Posts
Replace all your carbs needle and seats. They're leaking, in all probability.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I am not familiar with leaning out the injection mixture
good, as you don't adjust the amount of oil but rather the amount of gas. When it fouls after sitting , as ACMan said, the needle seats are probably leaking allowing gas to overflow into the engine. If thats it then you need to take the carbs off and go through them. Since it runs great after the initial start up and plug replacement your jetting seems fine. So check the needle seats, and check the float height. Or you could just turn the gas off when you park it [;)]

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
check to see if your leaking into the engine, i have this problem on my 93 xlt, if i leave the gas on it will leak into the cylinders, there are drains on the bottom front(exhaust side)of engine, the bolts are 10mm, shut your gass off, then remove these, best way to tell if your needles and seats are leaking, as mentioned before, take these bolts out, as well as plugs and let it air out over night. it will also tell you if the fuel pump is leaking into the impulse line, but if that is ok, then its your needle and seats. good luck

·
Registered
366 Posts
had the same problem on my 95 and needles and seats fixed it. runs like a top now

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
still havent fixed mine, runs great, just have to remember to shut off the gas is all, kinda annoying actually

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Try a hotter plug?? That's what I did on my '81 Blizzard. Whatcha usin'??

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Just like these guys have said, chances are your needle n seats are leaking....replace all three. My 97 XLT SP had the same problem.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Same old story here as well. Needles and seats, needles and seats. If you have a mid to late ninties xlt you will have to replace your needles and seats as some point. Most fail within the first 2,000mi. Yours is no different and the symptoms are as one would expect. Pretty cheap if you do it yourself, couple hundred at the local stealer.

When it first started happening to my mine, I didn't know what the problem was at first, so I did the 'ol shut the gas off when not riding thing. That worked for me for awhile, but later got so bad that is started stalling even at idle whilst riding. Got it fixed and no problems since.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys.....to respond to one comment....NGK BR8ES are the plugs that I am using......I am glad that I brought it home with me. I will replace the needles and seats and also shut off the gas from now on. Thanks for the advice.....

do the snow dance for michigan......

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Those aren't the plugs speced for your sled.....I have the same one. The 8's are too hot. You should be running the NGK BR9ES plugs for the 97 XLT SP. You might get away with the 8's, but they're not what is speced.

·
Registered
174 Posts
8's are definitely too hot. You risk a popped piston crown at extended wide open throttle from possible detonation. May pick up some extra MPH with 9's also because of elimination of unnoticed detonation sometimes.
Everybody is right. Changes your needle and seats
Ride hard, fly high

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 98 XLT 600 Lim and it also has the NGK BR8ES plugs mentioned. Would one know if this is speced out for the 98 or should it have the NGK BR9ES instead as well simialrly to the 97?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Check your owners manual, or look under your hood. There may be a sticker there that gives some general specs for the sled. You can always call a dealer and ask them.

·
Registered
103 Posts
My '94 actually calls for 8's but used to foul them out, so now I run 9's and it never fouls a plug.

·
Registered
99 Posts
EKUDL,

The BR8ES is the correct plug for your 98 LTD. I verified it in the Polaris Service Manual.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I also had a 97' XLT Special it did the samething till I got the carbs worked on and ran a hotter plug to burn the gas up. The biggest gain though was with the carb rebuild.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts