Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thanks. i might be getting a 92 rxl motor but would be putting the carbs off my indy 650. any idea if i would need to swap the stator and cdi off the carbed motor to the other motor? or can i just put the carbs on it and be fine?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Everyone! I got a 92 Indy 650 RXL. When I got it, the old owner connected it to a battery charger (no battery) to get it running. It ran so I bought it. I got it to my neighbors garage and worked on it. Replaced some bearings, track, and cleaned up the machine.
I got it to run but then after a few minutes of running it would stop, then when I started it again, one pull and it would run again. After a few days of these, it got bad. I would run it for a few minutes and then it would stop and even if I revved it, it would not go. After I turn the ignition of and then on again, I would hear a clicking sound. I check where the sound is coming from and find out it is coming from the relays. Two blue and one brown. I put my fingers on the relays and the one that was vibrating was the middle one. So I replace that one, 50 bucks later, I get the machine running but after a few rounds around my house, it stops again by itself and then I can not re-start it. Then I hear the clicking sound again, this time the other blue one is vibrating ang making a clicking noise when the ignition and kill switch is turned on. Before I spend another 50 bucks for another relay, is there anyway to check the relays that I have, or do I have a simple problem that I am not dealing with?

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
A couple things to check first.

Check battery voltage. It won't run unless it's got good voltage. Check it with the sled turned off, check it with the sled idling, and check it with the sled revved over 4,000 rpm.

Look at the ECU. Right next to the plug is a red LED, see if it is blinking. If it is, it's sending a code. It will be long blinks then short blinks. Post all of them here (it might be blinking more than one code)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the reply, Uopk. I checked the battery a while ago and it was less than 12, and the lowest charge rate of my charger is 2.5 amps. So I will have to get a new charger (found out too, that I need 1.5 otherwise the battery might be toasted, LOL). I hope to be able to perform those checks by the end of the day.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I put back the old (2 blue relays) and then charged the battery. After 15 minutes I thought that I should close the hood since it is out in the open and there is forecast of rain and snow tonight, so I proceeded and took off the charger connections and close the hood, but out of curiosity I said I will try and start the machine. As soon as I turned the ignition on, it primed! And I was able to start it (with the old relays!). Now I think the problem something else. And I am stuck with a 50 dollar part that I don't need. Anyway, I may be able to use it later. As soon ast is charged I will perform the checks that Uopk suggested. Thanks again.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Based on what you have posted on your latest post I would say that low voltage is your issue. I reccomend a maintenace type battery charger. I keep my 92 RXL on a battery tender that was meant for boats (so its waterproof) and it keeps mine good., I mounted it under the cowel and just run the plug out the right side below the ignition switch panel so I dont even need to raise the cowel to unplug it.

·
Registered
591 Posts
why did you pay 50 dollars for a relay? If it is the four pin type, you can just match one up at an autoparts store, they are like 10 bucks. what is the voltage of the battery when the sled is running? Are there any trouble codes flashing on the ecu? I highly reccomed a float battery charger. You can get them at harbor freight for around 10 bucks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well, I will never go to that store again. It is a Polaris Dealer here in my neck of the woods, and I tried the autoparts store here in town, and they don't have it. Maybe I talked with the wrong guy? Anyway, I charged it, not fully, and then I tried to ran it again. Here's what happened. It was not fully charged as per Schumacker 1.5 amp Maintainer. Light did not turn green yet, but I had it charging for close to 2 hours and I am getting impatient. I take the charger cable off and start the machine. It primed and started on the first pull. I am not seeing any lights blinking. After I ran it around and pulled it up to my covered port, I checked the voltage while it was still running it registered at 11.64 volts. Then I checked it after revving it for a few minutes and the ignition off, it registered at 11.54 volts. I have the battery connected to the charger again, and this time will wait until it is fully charged. Thanks a lot for all the comments. Any more suggestions or comments will be highly appreciated. Does it look like my stator is working?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Ugly_old_Poo_kid,

Can you please tell me how to go about checking the stator and the voltage rectifier? Right now I don't have a clue where it is, how it looks like, and how to know if it is working the way it should.

Thanks a lot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts