Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did somebody knows if there should be a shim under the rubber engine mount on the sprocket side (rear), the right hand one (if you sit on the sled). Can be little hard to understand but I did not took some pics... I check part diagram but they are too compact and can't really see it good! I make a little description on this part diagram! Let me know what you think[;)]
[attachment=51532]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I would say no. Your engine straps mount directly to the mount, the mount bolts directly to the chassis. As far as I know there are no shims or washers of any kind in there. Just mount the strap directly to the mounts.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by tripplethret
[br]I would say no. Your engine straps mount directly to the mount, the mount bolts directly to the chassis. As far as I know there are no shims or washers of any kind in there. Just mount the strap directly to the mounts.
Yeah, but did you see my modified diagram above... the left side mount is higher cause of the bracket! I think 1-8 inch is not enough to get the engine miss-aligned!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
OK, I see what you are wondering about now. What does that bracket do? What connects to that bracket? I would think it would be some very thin gauge sheet metal type bracket and most likely it would not effect alingment. I would also think it is supposed to mount underneath the mount for the strap not between.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This bracket hold the rubber stopper that help the engine to not moving while putting the gas at WOT. It as a little adjustment and you have to be sure this rubber slightly touch the engine strap (right under the PTO carb). the thickness is about 1-8. This stopper as been changed for that part!
[attachment=51881]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
That is your torque limiter. Yes you adjust it to just touch the engine, it stops the engine from moving and clutches from comming out of alingment when at WOT, so now I am totally confused as to your original question. I though you were questioning the engine strap mount not the torque limiter?

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
on my sled, I don't have the torque limiter. I have the model that directly act on the strap mount. I will like to change it to a torque limiter. The model I have now is fix on the bracket I show in the part diagram above. If you don't understand I will take some pics!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
OK, I think I get what you are saying now. Yes it would be beneficial to run a limiter, but I would find a location other then under your engine mount to mount it at. The best spot would be to bolt it thru the bulk head left edge and let it rest at the far left side of the block, if you cannot do this possibly you can make a limiter and mount it in front bolted to the bulk head there and also bolt it directly to the engine, using a turn buckle type of set up you can adjust preload as needed to stop the engine from twisting.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will install it the place it goes, according to other sleds, they seem to be riveted on the plate that hold the airbox on the left side. But, the older torque stopper who act directly on the strap mount is still here. This is what I was wondering about. The bracket makes the straps to be little higher. Will try to take some pics tonight, after the work.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Yep, your right... I can picture it now. The original limiter actually used the strap to limit the torque/movement of the engine. Polaris revised their thoughts a few years after and moved it to the far left as it was much better placed there and worked much more efficiently. If you are worried about it tilting the engine off center to the left (lower) then the right just shim it the thickness of the original bracket or leave it there without the stopper in place and then mount your new limiter in the better location.
I would probably shim it at least and not take the chance of tilting the engine to the left.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts