Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, that was the last part to put on the engine to make my rebuilt complete... So I took out the thermostat from the bag, try to installed it but I realized that it wont fit, its way too big. I go back to the place I buy it and they tell me that its the only part available now, they can't have the one I needs. So the guys told me that sometimes people just cut the bigger one (the one I have) to make it fit. Is this makes sense? Did one of you have done this before? Don't wanna have some coolant issues later! The part number I have is : 3083167 (Polaris) What you think?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Man I don't know, never tried it. Wish I could help.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Leave it out.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
the one you have is for an early to mid 80s polaris's..you need part number 3083055.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I will try to find one cause I don't like when the engines is warm in trail condition and you ran the sled into fresh deep powder... the engine temp go down really fast!!!

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by mdmaniac
[br]the one you have is for an early to mid 80s polaris's..you need part number 3083055.
This is not a thermastat, its the coolant temp switch!

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Originally posted by STEVE650
[br]
[br]the one you have is for an early to mid 80s polaris's..you need part number 3083055.
Ah, your talking the variable resitance temp sensor for the idiot light correct?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Originally posted by Triple650Indy
[br]
Originally posted by STEVE650
[br]
Ah, your talking the variable resitance temp sensor for the idiot light correct?
Pretty sure the variable resistance sensor was for the gauge.. not the light. The sensor for the light grounded after the sensor hit a pre-determind temp.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, ok. Sorry guys I probably confused all of you. This is the part I need. The part number on on the pics is not the one I need, as I tell before, this thermostat is way too big. I need a smaller one. I try hard to find the real part number I need, I begin to think this part is dis-continuss[;)]
[attachment=51270] [attachment=51271]

Attachments

·
Registered
520 Posts
It might seem there is a place to put a thermostat in the water rail on a 650 but they didnt come with one from Polaris. This is why you are having trouble finding the proper size 650 had no thermostat

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Originally posted by yamarx1
[br]It might seem there is a place to put a thermostat in the water rail on a 650 but they didnt come with one from Polaris. This is why you are having trouble finding the proper size 650 had no thermostat
Yup! He's right the 650 according to every part diagram I've looked at never came with one.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
[br]
Originally posted by yamarx1
[br]It might seem there is a place to put a thermostat in the water rail on a 650 but they didnt come with one from Polaris. This is why you are having trouble finding the proper size 650 had no thermostat
Yup! He's right the 650 according to every part diagram I've looked at never came with one.
Ok, do you think guys I should care about it or leave it like when the sled came out from factory? I think putting a thermostat here will make the engine temperature more stable. The coolant will not turn from hot to cold drastically! What you think?

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
In fact that might have caused some issues that helped blow the sled up in the first place. Maybe maybe not, but I'd run without it.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
[br]In fact that might have caused some issues that helped blow the sled up in the first place. Maybe maybe not, but I'd run without it.
ha! lets start a poll about it... lol[8D]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts