Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
engine locked up after quick rip.let it sit afew days,it would pull over again?took it to a shop I know,they said the crank bearings seized.makes sense. they want to sell me a crank assembly,pistons and all(very expensive). talked to a few people, they said I should be able to just replace bearings and some new rings (much cheaper)I need an honest appinion. I LOVE MY SLED! just want to ride again.[confused]

· Registered
9,987 Posts
You cannot tell what needs replacing without seeing exactly what is damaged.

Tear down the engine and post the results, and we can give you a better idea.

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
engine was torn down by the shop i took it to.just going by what they said.I'll take a look myself. engine is in a box in my basement. what should i look for? nothing blew up. it just stoped dead.i've been riding sleds for over twenty years, i know my way around them. tell me what i should look for. i'd appreciat it allot.

· Registered
2,863 Posts
Look in the case and see if the bearings spun in the case, it should be pretty much perfectly smooth where the bearings sit. If one of them did spin your case is probably ruined. Also check the piston and cylinder for scoring, if the crank locked up tight it's very possible it put some stress on your pistons, especially if you lost a rod bearing. I know there's some I missed but I haven't ever really gotten into much detail with cases. I just know those are pretty common problems.

also, pictures speak a thousand words.

· Registered
9,987 Posts
Bobinwi said:
you said it was a quick rip? how quick of a rip? kinda sounds like an overheat lock up.
That's kinda what I was thinking. Cold seizure...

As said, look for spun bearings, and scoring on the cylinder walls and pistons.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.