Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In fixing my cracked head dome, I replaced gaskets all the way down to the base on the center cyl. I noticed a small tube out the rear side of the crankcase between the Mag and Center cyls that does not have anything attached to it.

I checked the parts lists on polarisind.com and came up with "3083798 PIPE, PULSE". Not sure if that's right, the tube seems to be on the upper case, rather than the lower in the diagram.

Anyone know what it's for? What should be attached to it?

I am trying to diagnose a fuel dumping problem exactly like josie_daniel http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic/121136-much-fuelwhy
so I'm watching that post as well.

Possibly related?

Thanks,
Todd.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I would think it is for the fuel pump to hook the pulse hose to. Where does your fuel pump hook up to?

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Sounds like the line has come off the fuel pump. Reconnect it and see what happens.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Most definitely related, no pulse line attached to fuel pump, no fuel.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The pulse line hooks up to your fuel pump. What happens is your crankcase produces a "pulse" of air. This air is pushed into the fuel pump, allowing for fuel to be pumped to the carburetors. If this isn't hooked up, you wont get any fuel to the carbs.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll check for a line to the fuel pump, but it's definitely getting gas. Too much I think, like the other post I mentioned.

This "tube" is prolly 1/8" in diameter, about 1/2 to 3/4" long.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I don't know how you could be getting fuel without the pulse line, the fuel pump requires it to move fuel to the carbs and the carbs require the fuel pump. Unless you have a full tank of gas then it may flow under gravity and pressure head. If that is the case, then I would check float height and needles/seats.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
t_jones98 said:
I'll check for a line to the fuel pump, but it's definitely getting gas. Too much I think, like the other post I mentioned.

That's pretty small for a pulse line. Usually they use 1/4" tubing. Or are you talking about the fitting itself?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
t_jones98 said:

That tube goes to nothing,don't worry about it. Your pulse tube should be right under your mag side carb on the lower case, which in turn, the line runs up behind the dash plate that holds your coils and the fuel pump.[thumb]

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
thats probably a line that was attached to a carb at one time. i wouldnt worry about that. the post above by ultrawillie is correct.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^^ X2 I thought it looked a little small for a pulse line. And it also doesn't look like it's been hooked up to anything in a while. Should it be capped off?

Looks like I'm going to be tearing into the carbs.

Thanks guys.

Todd.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
t_jones98 said:
^^ X2 I thought it looked a little small for a pulse line. And it also doesn't look like it's been hooked up to anything in a while. Agian

Looks like I'm going to be tearing into the carbs.

Thanks guys.

Todd.
Again!!! leave it alone [thumb]

·
Registered
72 Posts
t_jones98 said:
In fixing my cracked head dome, I replaced gaskets all the way down to the base on the center cyl. I noticed a small tube out the rear side of the crankcase between the Mag and Center cyls that does not have anything attached to it.

I checked the parts lists on polarisind.com and came up with "3083798 PIPE, PULSE". Not sure if that's right, the tube seems to be on the upper case, rather than the lower in the diagram.

Anyone know what it's for? What should be attached to it?

I am trying to diagnose a fuel dumping problem exactly like josie_daniel http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic/121136-much-fuelwhy
so I'm watching that post as well.

Possibly related?

Thanks,
Todd.
It is a vent for the waterpump, All 1996 Ultras have it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts