Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm in the market for a sled. Probably looking for something in the neighborhood of '03 - '05 XC/XP.
I'm upgrading from a '99 XC SP 500. I've had it in my head that the 500 is lighter and more manuverable than say a 700. I keep seeing lots of great 700 sleds for sale, but I keep passing on them because I picture them being heavy and harder to deal with. Hoping you guys can tell me if I'm right or wrong...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Might be a few pounds differnt. But, its not going to be more than 10 pounds or so. Chassis should be the same, so the motor weight is all that is going to be different. Also, the edge chassis is lighter (can someone confirm) than the gen II. So it should be lighter than your 5-hunny anyway

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
They are a little heavier then the 500, but in most cases not enough to notice it. Also every once of extra weight that the 700 has it also has additonal power to pull that weight.

As far as manuverable, I think if you were able to ride both a 500 and 700 in the same chassis and the same year back to back, you would not be able to tell the difference between the two other then the power of the 7 and even then you might have a hard time because Polaris's 500 flat out rips.

Personally I would not be passing up a good deal on a good 700 XCSP, they are awesome sleds. If I was you I would be looking for 500/600/700 and even an 800 if you want, with a wide search like that you have a better chance of finding a really good sled for a good price.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
KirkXC said:
So, I'm in the market for a sled. Probably looking for something in the neighborhood of '03 - '05 XC/XP.
I'm upgrading from a '99 XC SP 500. I've had it in my head that the 500 is lighter and more manuverable than say a 700. I keep seeing lots of great 700 sleds for sale, but I keep passing on them because I picture them being heavy and harder to deal with. Hoping you guys can tell me if I'm right or wrong...
You have a 1999 Polaris XcSp 500? If so, that is the Gen 2 chassis. A 2003-2005 XcSp (Edge chassis) feels lighter, but in the case of say a 2004 XcSp 700, will be around 10-15 pounds heavier. BUT, it feels lighter, and more nimble. Much easier to throw around, and a WAY better riding/smooth chassis. And your 500 will have no chance against a newer 700V.E.S. That's like 90 HP VS. 130 HP. With sleds, the name of the game is the magical amount of weight per HP. An Edge chassis 700 will have a lot less pounds per HP than your sled...

An edge chassis 600/700 is a world of improvement over a 500 cc Liberty non-v.e.s in the Gen 2 chassis. You will not be dissapointed!

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Here's a little comparison in dry weights for you:
'99 XC 500 = 481
'99 XC 700 = 484

'03 XC 500/600 = 484
'03 XC 700/800 = 498

It's tricky to compare a Gen II 500 to an Edge 700 because they have different chassis's and suspensions. My Gen II 500 feels like a tank. Even though my dad's Edge 600 weighs the same, his still feels lighter, rides better, handles better, and has more power.
It would be a little foolish to not upgrade to an Edge 700 because an extra 18lbs IN NUMBERS is scary. You have to at least put the numbers to the test before you make conclusions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts