Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 700 ves that smokes lika a locomotive, it is in an 02 blade wx1 but I would think its simply polaris. The cable adjustment is actually on the lean side about an eight to quarter inch. I just bought the sled and havent riden yet , NO SNOW, so I dont know the amount of consuption. Just blasting around the yard it seems to run ok but it smokes pretty good esp. at idle. The previous owner said he ran ski-doo syntethic and that is what is in it now but I will be adding polaris ves2 when it gets low.I cleaned the power valves and they were sooted pretty bad, still smokes. Is there a fail-safe in this system so in case the cable breaks or is unhooked it just dumps oil and it is backed of too far and running on fail-safe or is there an inharent problem in this system??

·
Registered
137 Posts
My experience is that all 2 strokes smoke at idle but clean up a lot once they warm up and have a chance to clear their throat. I wouldn't worry too much about it until you get a chance to ride it more than just around the yard.
As for changing oils, here's a quote from the last issue of Snowtech "What’s the best? Ah, the trick question. We can tell you an experienced engine shop indicated they have found the Ski-Doo Formula XPS fully-synthetic to be one of the best overall oils they’ve found for their mod packages. They discovered this after tear-downs and rebuilds on a large number of engines over many years. They do not sell Ski-Doo oil, either. Ski-Doo has always told us their oil was very good, exceeding any of the established ratings."

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
100% agreed with MadMatt900. The guy who owned my 600 VES before was runing Ski-Doo oil in it and I immediately switched to Amsoil Dominator oil. When I first got my sled last feb. I cleaned the exhaust valves and they were carboned over really bad, but I dont know how long it was before that, that they were cleaned. After running that Amsiol in there for more than 1000 miles I haven't had to clean it at all. Every time I pull them apart to chech on them there really isn't any carbon on there. But I must also mention that I'm constantly on and off the throttle and giving the sled a pretty good workout.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Untill you get a chance to actually ride the sled and get the pipe good and hot, I wouldnt worry about the smoke. If the cable breaks, the oil pump will go to maximum output, but untill you actually ride the sled and build up some heat in the motor, I wouldnt mess with it.
In my 600 VES I used to run VES II and after a 1500 miles season I would have just a thin layer of carbon on the valves.
Amsoil is OK, but the specs for Klotz are actually better. If I were going to run an aftermarket oil, Id personally go with Klotz over Amsoil.
Right now I used Polaris Premium Blend in my '01 600. It doesnt smoke much and doesnt stink. Ive only got about 300 miles on since I made the switch, so I cant say how clean the valves are, but my father ran Polaris Blue in his '03 Pro-X 600 and in my mother's '02 600 EDGE X and at the end of the winter when he cleaned the valves they were just as clean as any of the other sleds in our group that used synthetic oil.
IMO, synthetic oil is overrated.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
sounds like the sled got fogged down real good and just needs a good 15 min ride to clear the crap out. Nothing to worry about, its actually a good thing.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Originally posted by carterharness
[br]by the way could some one tell me what those stars are four
It is one of there trademarks they are known for. I always wanted to get a tat of it...

·
Registered
236 Posts
My 02 800 does that when my Ex. valves are getting dirty. It's like the black sludge on the valve is buring causing more smoke.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts