Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
An article that I read in Supertrax the people evaluating the Polaris XCs seemed to like the 700 over the 800. The 700 in the XC chasis is supposed to run right with the 800. That 700 sounds like a great engine, its costs less than the 800 and is a little lighter. Why spend more on the 800 if it's not going to perform much better than a 700?

RtkatZL8

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
I think I would buy a 700 over an 800 twin also. THe 800 only has a few more hp but it is still great. There are somem different things done with the motor on the 800 but it isn't too much different I don't think. The 700 can pretty much keep up with the 800 in the beginning just like the 600 can to the 700.

·
Registered
134 Posts
That 800 decal does look a little more impressive than the 700(it's a guy thing).
The differences are very minor between the two.
Having said that, next year I'm leaning towards the MXZ 900.

SKI-DOO ROCKS!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
the 700 and 800 are the same motor , the 800 is just bored. at least thats what my dealer told me. i went with the 700 because its a tried and true engine, my brother got the 800 wants to outrun me
dont think u can go wrong either way

Women leave you,
Bosses fire you,
Friends forget you,
SLEDDIN IS FOREVER!!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I would go with the 800. I believe the weight difference between the 700 and 800 is pretty small

I can safely say that many times in my life I've wanted more power and I can't really think of single time when I said ya know this too much engine...

I need spellcheck!

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
The 700 has a 81 mm bore and an 68 mm stroke. The 800 has a 85 mm bore and a 70 mm stroke. They have different pipes and silencers. and the timing curve is different on each engine. So the 800 is not just a bored 700 engine. They both have very strong midrange power and acceleration is very close to the same but the 800 does have a higher top speed than the 700. That seems to be one of the only places that the difference in power showes up. It is really just a rider preference that sould determine which sled to pick. do you want the most power avilable or is close to the most good enough. Either sled should work excellent for any type of riding.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I say go with a 700. As some of you know I like the smaller sleds, and as I always say... simpler is better, lighter, and uses less fuel!! Ok, my $.02

95 XLT Special
88 Saffari 377
89 Saffari Saga 377

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I must have missed something cause when we grass dragged a week ago the 800s were ahead of teh 700s. Besides you can get more horsepower out of an 800 without bore then a 700. I would take an 800 over a 700. But I would take a Cat over a Polaris so...

·
Registered
289 Posts
ya well that explains the mental instabilities in your cranium... lol... and the reason why your sled has dirt roost snow fused onto the hood and windshield.. MUAHAHAHA...

Duct tape much like the force... it has a light side, a dark side.... and it holds the world together!

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by Burnin2StrokeOil:

ya well that explains the mental instabilities in your cranium... lol... and the reason why your sled has dirt roost snow fused onto the hood and windshield.. MUAHAHAHA...

Duct tape much like the force... it has a light side, a dark side.... and it holds the world together![/quote] Huh? if you are referring to my preference of Cats all I know is I watched my uncles ZR 800 which was unstudded keep up with an XC800 that was studded. You may say studs don't make a difference but in grass drags they do. My dad's SXViper had trouble hooking up without studs but with them it threw that front end into the air and took off like a rocket.

·
Registered
948 Posts
700. But I only weigh a buck 40 so I don't think 800 would be necessary for myself at this stage. Maybe in the future when I've got endless finances.

.....still waiting for that lottery thing to kick in....

-----------------------------
I think.... therefore I sled
-----------------------------
Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Well I know for the arctic cat 800's they are based on a bigger block than the rest of the line. The other manufacters use the small block for the whole line. This makes the 800 slightly heavier, but takes to big mods very very well. This I could see as both an advantage or a disadvantage(if left stock)

2002 Arctic Cat ZR 800 EFI
1993 Polaris Storm 750
Piped and Clutched

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
There is no replacement for displacement.
As far as which brand to go with I would go with the Cat (I know big suprise) You can add mods all day long and not change anything on the bottom end of the Cat. Try that with any other brand and you'll be buying a new motor.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ok Grizz, I just bought a 2002 Xc 600 Sp and the difference between the 600 & 700 isn't that much. Except for the price tag. The 600 weighs 484 & both 700 & 800 weigh in at 498. If speed is the thing you want go with the 800 but if its not an issue I would save myself some money & go with the 600. The dealership told me the 600 will be right there with the 700 under most circumstance's. You be the judge. Good Luck!

LET IT SNOW!!!!

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by waynejohn:
Ok Grizz, I just bought a 2002 Xc 600 Sp and the difference between the 600 & 700 isn't that much. Except for the price tag.
[/quote]
I hope you mean there isn't much difference in the overal performance of the machines. (If you are taling Polaris) If you are talikng about the engines, there is a difference. All of the new Polaris 600's are smallblocks and the 700's are bigblocks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I understand that Erick but actual top speed is not going to be far off. I'm just guessing here but it can't much more than 5 miles an hour.

LET IT SNOW!!!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts